camping in cold weather - advise please

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
Da
Davidvan

camping in cold weather - advise please

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:41 am

Boy do I know how to choose them,

We are camping this weekend, 2nd time this year in cold weather and when it has snowed, it is not pleasant. SWAMBO is not keen, so I am looking for advise on camping in these conditions. We also have a lil one, that tends to wake up at 4am when the temps plummit down to close to 0 degrees while camping. And that is with 3 hot water bottles and several layers, gloves beanie, the whole shebang. We have no power at the location this weekend.any advise welcome!

We camp with a Venter Bush Baby with echo Trailer top Tent, but I don't have all sides for the main tent, hmmmmmmm.

Cheers

David

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: camping in cold weather - advise please

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 am

Take plenty OBS, Plenty fire wood.

I have gas heater top that you can borrow if you want.

Otherwise think about postponing :( . Not always a popular choice but sometimes with small kids it just makes more sense in the end. This looks to be a particular cold weekend, so might just lead to serious uncomfortableness.

CATS
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 am

First suggestion: DON'T!

If you insist:
  • Keep things dry. Cold is bad enough, but cold and wet is unbearable.
  • Heat loss occurs from above and below. Blankets, duvets etc UNDER your sleeping bag is a must. If you can live with the noise, news paper or space blankets make an excellent insulation layer.
  • Gas heater, BUT MAKE SURE THE TENT IS VENTILATED.
  • Find a few bricks or granitic rocks (not shale!). Throw them in the fire. When you go to bed, wrap them in paper, then in blankets/towels (make sure they are not hot enough to burn the paper!). Place in your bed half an hour before going to bed.
Last suggestion: DON'T!
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
Da
Davidvan

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks Gents,

Will do a final assessment tomorrow, weather is improving and. We are heading north so a little warmer. Found a nice compact gas heater head when at Builders for R230, pretty pleased, got 3 water bottles, loads of wood, insulating blankets, small carpeent (The things we do to make SWAMBO happy and warm), inverter, small heater that would work on battery to heat up a little. Beanies, warm clothes, gloves for the lil one, down duvet and a few other lil things, OBS as well. May seem extreme, but happy SWAMBO will result in happy family and a good time. No rain expected, so will just be dry and chilly, been in low temps at Kgalagadi and berg earlier this year, but not great, as long as it warms up during the day, will be happy campers :-).

Cheers

David
Da
Davidvan

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 am

Sun is out, temps are rising, OBS is full to the brim, all warm gear packed and off we go, woooohooo!!
pa
paw_by_paw

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:19 pm

David,
Seems I am a bit late but here is my take.
If you sleep on a stretcher put a nice thick blanket on and the rest of bedding . The cold from underneath your A8se or might I say back will kill you.
Keep the tent are as closed up as possible and install your pegs tight with sides as close to ground as possible. Take a little sand and put on tent plastic sides to keep wind out.
We used to have the kids sleep in decent sleeping bags with a minus 5 rating or more and trust me that works. Those ratings are no gimmick.
A fire will keep you warm as long as you are close and have one from the back as well.
The best is and I sound like a old man now but long johns under a tracksuit works wonders. Thick socks as well.
I have never used a heater or gas heater for that matter as I am a bit scared of the the air drying out too much and we get a big sinus problems because of that.I sleep like a mummy covered with head in the blanket all night :mrgreen:
We left Secunda Thursday morning to Swadinni and Thursday night was very cold. Thick blanket and a nice duvet had us survived- was 3 degrees when we left and arrived today in ten degrees again. Bummer :evil: The wind nearly blew us off the road today. Funny enough off all the shoes , tekkies etc to keep my feet warm my Stokies- slippers works the best- I think that plastic soles keeps the cold away :mrgreen:
Hope you had a great time though.

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register