Roofrack and Trailer

vi
vito115

Roofrack and Trailer

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi Folks,
Built myself a roofrack out of steel tubing.
It is a little heavy but seriously strong.
I have also been modifying my Karet trailer with an uprated axle and a set of 17" Pajero rims to match my Pajero.
Not quite finished with the trailer yet.
A few pics to look at.
The trailer before picture was after I had removed the 10" rims and Fitted 15" to suite the Hilux I had before the Pajero.
The Pajero came whilst I was still busy, so I chnaged the rims to the 17"
Trevor
Roofrack-1 r.jpg
Roofrack-2 r.jpg
Trailer before-1 r.jpg
Trailer-1 r.jpg
Trailer-2 r.jpg

KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Re: Roofrack and Trailer

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:30 pm

Naaice :mrgreen:

I think you need to start a descent pic thread of what youve done with the trailer. Sure looks neat
MMC 3.5 V6
Vehicle: 2000 Pajero 3.5 V6

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:50 am

Hi,

The trailer looks neat. Did you split and extend the axle as well so that the wheel tracks your pajero exactly? (I.e. Senter tot senter of the wiel spoor)

I just think that you should seriously consider upgrading the drawbar / tow bar triangle to a bigger and thicker rectangular tube frame + add some gussets under at the axle fixing points. You are no doubt going to load the trailer + on rough terain, your road going drawbar/towbar may fail.

Regards
Noel
vi
vito115

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Folks,
The axle I have used was originally designed for a trailer I was building when I still owned a Landcruiser (HJ60) matched the wheeltracks. I had it it my garage so used what I had. Quite honestly I have not checked the wheel tracks on the Pajero. I have to live with what I have. I don't think the wife would be too happy if I went out and bought another axle. I also have the one for the Hilux, which my son now owns (the Hilux) and is trying to sell.
Regarding the drawbar system. I have modified this quite substantially, along with a strengthened frame underneath. Thanks for the concern. Nice to now others will always put in a word of advice.
I will look through my pictures and see if I have more during the process. I will also load a few more once completed.
I have just been coating the inside for protection.
I can now continue with the fitting of the lid etc.
I have added a few pics of my rear packing system.
I saw one of the other members had made one similar to mine. Great minds think alike.
Mine is made to clip into the existing mechanism which holds the 3rd row of seats. It takes 2 minutes to take out or put in. No bolts etc.
Trevor
REAR PACK-1 R.jpg
REAR PACK-2 R.jpg
REAR PACK-3 R.jpg
REAR PACK-4 R.jpg
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:10 pm

Vito, I see you copied me ;)

This is mine. Water tank fits behind my board and space below is plenty for three large tupperwares and two small ammo boxes...
Attachments
IMG_3714a.jpg
IMG_3707a.jpg
vi
vito115

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:34 am

To Noel, (MMC 3.5 V6)
You've now got me thinking. I generally tend to overdesign with mechanical stuff. (I come from an electrical backround).
I have decided to flip the trailer again and have another look at whether I have made the framework strong enough. I won't sleep properly until I have at least looked at it.
Trevor
MMC 3.5 V6
Vehicle: 2000 Pajero 3.5 V6

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:07 am

The only reason that I know it is because my neighbour converted his regular Venter Trailer to a offroad version and took it on a hunting trip into the bush. On his way back he lost his trailer, but still had his drawbar attached to the bakkie's tow hitch. Luckily it veered off the road to the left and not into oncoming traffic.
vi
vito115

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi Folks,
I am a bit further down the road now.
I am still not sure how to deal with the old lights and number plate section. You will notice this in the pictures of the back.
I did forget to mention in earlier posts, that I did in fact cut off the old "A" frame sections and replace them with rectangular tubing for extra strength.
New pics attached. Plus some of the earlier days.
Trailer-4 r.jpg
Trailer-5 r.jpg
Trailer-6 r.jpg
Trailer-8 r.jpg
Trailer-9 r.jpg
vi
vito115

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi Folks,
I am now looking for some advice re the trailer.
I am looking for a set of 6 stud 14 inch rims with a similar offset to the Pajero rims.
These are to be spares to fit my trailer so that I can tow with a normal vehicle (not so much ground clearance) without having this huge drop on the nose of the trailer.
Any one with any advice as to whether these will be available or not.
Regards
Trevor
jasont
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:12 pm

Hi Trevor

Have you still got the 15” wheels as per your original pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “DIY Projects (Mods and Rebuilds)”

Login · Register