PajeroSport Automatic Towing Tips

Advice on the HOW of overlanding, camping and caravanning. Travel location is discussed elsewhere
Cl
CleRoux

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi All,

I will be towing ( Gypsey Regal caravan ) with my 2014 PS 2.5 automatic 4x2 for the first time this December. I'm used to the manual Fortuner and usually kept the box in 4th as it is a direct drive gear / ratio. I have 0 experience with automatic boxes and would welcome any tips. I've read that 4th is also direct drive in the PS auto box so would the experienced towers also recommend keeping it in 4th...?

Many thanks!

KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Re: PajeroSport Automatic Towing Tips

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:09 pm

My advice is to see how it goes, on long downhill sections you can use 5th but on slight inclines 4th might be better. Take it as it comes....
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Ki
Kish2604

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:44 am

What I found very comfortable for my pajero was to keep the auto box in manual mode and keep shifting down as soon as the revs dropped to 2200/2300rpm.. On long hills if I kept momentum up it stayed in 5th till the revs dropped then it climbed all the way the rest of the hill in 4th, if my momentum got broken with traffic I would hold the rpms and appropriate gear for the speed I was slowed down too and not try to build up too fast again, 50/60% throttle position and cruised till the road flattened up again.. This was with towing a 1600kg car plus 750kg trailer between dbn and gp twice.

PS. I towed in 4h for the hilly stuff to ease the strain on the rear diff alone...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Roelf_le_Roux

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:28 pm

Firstly, an autobox doesn't have a "direct drive" like a manual. It's a jungle of sun, moon, planet (and maybe even more heavenly bodies) gears.
I absolutely support the manual option, once at speed. The manual aption is referred to as "sport mode" because the ECU does a quicker change and the engine torque is just slightly reduced. Normal auto shifting happens with a bigger drop in torque and takes longer, which means less stress on drive train components as you accelerate up to speed.
The thing to keep an eye on is the torque converter clutch. You don't want it open the whole time (it generates heat) and you don't want it engaging and disengaging the whole time.
Cl
CleRoux

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks Roelf

Please elaborate on the torque converter clutch.... What do I need to be aware of ? When does it engage/disengage and how do you manipulate it...?

Thx

Charl
Mitsu Fan
Vehicle: Pajero Gen 4 2015

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:50 pm

No such thingie as a Torque Converter Clutch to worry about here. The Torque Converter takes the place of a clutch on a conventional manual transmission. It simply allows you pull away without a clutch.
The clutches are all in the auto box. They are selected according to engine load and speed.
You simply engage 'D" and on the move up to 100 Km/h select 4H so all wheels get drive (the Owners Manual advises this always).
If you find the box hunting, move shift lever over to manual and drive in 4th.

easy peasy
Roelf_le_Roux

Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:55 am

There is a lock-up clutch in the torque converter. The default setting is open. When the engine load is reduced under cruising conditions, the clutch will engage.

If you are cruising at 100km/h (towing a van on a level road), that clutch will be engaged. Press down a bit with your foot on a mild hill and the revs will suddenly jump 200 to 300rpm higher - that is the clutch disengaging and drive is through the torque converter. As soon as the road levels off the revs will drop again by the same margin - torque converter clutch engaged and drive is now via the clutch. Under these conditions the clutch is engaging and releasing the whole time, which obviously leads to wear, which adds to heat and clutch material contamination in the oil and thus filter.

I'm not saying the box is going to expire after your first holiday trip, I know it won't. I'm saying that the fairly common auto box niggles at the 250k to 300k mark is due to this type of driving, combined with less than ideal maintenance. My preferred driving mode is to keep an eye on the rev counter and the road conditions. You soon learn where the "tipping point" is for the clutch to disengage. If your load, speed and road conditions are such that the clutch is in and out the whole time, then rather slip the box into 4th and allow it to cruise with that little torque converter lock-up clutch constantly engaged.
Cl
CleRoux

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks Roelf , I know exactly what you are talking about wrt revs up and down 200-300 rpm - was wondering what caused that..... I questioned Mitsu dealers about this at my last service and they all looked at me in wonder not having the faintest what I was describing. My wife had 2 automatic Audis and they def did not work with torque conv clutches - smooth as silk and goes like a bat out of hell!! Anyway - now I know about the TC clutch - thx! Will be leaving tomorrow with the PS pretty loaded and van in tow. Thanks for the tips...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roelf_le_Roux

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:03 pm

Here is an image I found of a torque converter with clutch.
Cl
CleRoux

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:06 am

Some feedback for those who are interested : Towing with the PS was an absolute breeze. Much more "solid" and stable than the Fortuners I'm used to. Fuel consumption 8km/l pretty loaded and Gypsey Regal on tow. I experienced the torque converter cluth engage / disengage as described by Roelf and quickly managed to anticipate when this will happen and chose manual mode and geared to 4th - works like a charm.... Can recommend the PS for anyone considering a new vehicle.

Return to “Overlanding, Camping and Caravanning Advice”

Login · Register