SWB Legend 2014 "mothball"

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
Wild@Heart
Vehicle: Pajero Legend SWB 2014

SWB Legend 2014 "mothball"

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi,

I bought my SWB new in June 2014, did 29 000 km ( full services) and left SA for abroad and currently still abroad.

Before the SWB was mothballed i called the service center in George who told me that i only have to disconnect the duel battery system, nothing else. SWB is raised so the tires dont have any weight on them.

I intend going back to SA end 2018 - What potential problems can i expect ?

Appreciate

Ro
RoelfleRoux

Re: SWB Legend 2014 "mothball"

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Very interesting topic.
First thing is to hope rodents didn't find their way into the storage area.
I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what the informed opions will be.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Morsjors
Vehicle: 2006 Nissan Hardbody, 2001 Gen 3 SWB

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 am

In my limited knowledge, I would think that tire pressures shoud be checked a full service done, and you should be good to go. Your "check engine" light will no doubt be on in any case. I think you should not have any problems unless ,like was mentioned, rodents did damage to wires. That could be checked by giving the engine bay a once over to look for obvious damage to wires. Otherwise sell it to me. :D
Wild@Heart

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 am

Hi,

Appreciate the feedback.

With nobody checking for rodents munching my PJ other than neighborhood cats i agree it could be a problem. I did leave some rodent deterrent bait in the garage but even that precaution has its limitations.

My previous vehicle ( RAV ) got munched , no too much damage but still a worry.

Selling my PJ is not an option as currently there is nothing on the market - new - that would suit my requirements.

Take care
Morsjors
Vehicle: 2006 Nissan Hardbody, 2001 Gen 3 SWB

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 am

Selling my PJ is not an option as currently there is nothing on the market - new - that would suit my requirements.

Take care
[/quote]

They are very good cars indeed keep it for as long as you can. I was just joking about selling it to me, I could never afford such a "new" Pajero anyways. There are many members on here with donkies years of experience so maybe also wait for them to chime in and get a good idea of what to expect.
va
vaughn

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am

Hi,
That car has stood for a long time, everything will be dry and sticky inside that engine,gearbox, diffs and every where else. Don't start it without cranking it to get everything lubed up and the lifters pressurized. Also do a visual to see if anything is out of place. When I start something that has been standing for so long I take an oil can , squirt a little oil into the cylinders, take the tappet cover off pour oil over the cams and lifters , make sure that the oil is pressurized before the turbo starts spinning or even better if you can get some oil onto those turbo bearings it will help. If its a diesel you may have a problem with thickening and maybe water check that the diesel filter is not clogged and the diesel is flowing. I have started tractors that have stood for 35 years without any trouble. Once the car starts let it idle a while and work through the gears on the gearbox slowly to make sure all is well and the gears are changing. The fan belts will be hard so listen when you start the car for any thing that sounds like a belt about to break or a seized tensioner ,and there is a good chance the air/con will have lost all the refrigerant. leave that off until you have stared the car and everything else is cool. Check that the coolant level and brake fluid is good, maybe the rats has scoffed one of the pipes. Once you are mobile keep an eye for oil leaks, the oil seals dry out and go hard. Also keep an eye on the brake fluid, those seals can also leak. I will also bet that your remote batteries are dead. Once you are mobile again, and there are no leaks, change all the fluids front to back.
Good luck, those cars are bullet proof, i bet you wont have any issues.

Vaughn
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:57 pm

I was told as a youngster to unplug the coil wire and then swing the engine to allow the oil and stuff to circulate. A squirt of oil down each plug hole will also help to protect the rings during that first movement.

I'm not convinced anymore about the engine swing without actually starting practice, because one would like oil pressure to the bearings as quickly as possible.

I just don't know what is right.

My Datsun 1600 SSS was parked when I went to the army. After months of basics and all that other sh1t that we had to endure, when I got to my car there wasn't time for fancy engine nanny stuff. I got in, fired up and let rip.... there was a girl waiting!!!

Last edited by RoelfleRoux on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:02 pm

PS:
If ever there is an engine that can match those 1600 Datsun jobbies for being tough, then surely the 3.2DiD has to make that list.

Wild@Heart

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Hola,

Arrived back in SA and it was a tough choice to make....to have braai first of start up my SWB after being "mothballed" for more than 3 years. Did both the same time and in both cases i was not disappointed.

Sure i fitted a new battery , started the SWB and drove off. Absolutely no problems, like a dream come true.
And as for the rodents, guess they don't like munching on Pajeros.

Now for a new set of tyres - any advice.

Take care
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:38 pm

Tyres depends on your intended use so tell us what you plan to do with the Legend?
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”

Login · Register