Ride quality on the Pajero

Michael
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 2.5

Re: Ride quality on the Pajero

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:37 am

nielsch wrote:Same problem with my 2003 SWB when we did a Southern Namibia trip a few years ago. We were accompanied by a couple in a FJ Cruiser, and after a badly corrugated section I asked them what it felt like in the FJ. The driver's response was that he could feel the corrugations but not to the point that it really bothered him. I didn't believe him so I took his vehicle back on that same corrugated section and had to admit that the FJ's ride quality was in a different class.

On our return I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins which made the ride on paved roads much better, but corrugations and bad dirt roads remained a teeth shattering experience.

I guess we either have to live with it or replace the vehicle.
My shorty is my daily driver and will remain in the family for as long as I have a say in it.
For overland trips I unfortunately had to decide to get something that can handle those roads a bit better, and no it wasn't an FJ but a 1996 80 series Land Cruiser.

On the Mitsi Tech subject. Has anyone used them, and what was your experience? I've spoken to them and the guys seem very knowledgeable.

Niel
So interestingly the Pajero Sport (which I drive) suffers from the fate with the hard ride on corrugations and general hard ride over uneven terrain.
I have know had two EFS complete configurations and 2 Iron man configurations done on my PS. The challenge is that it is the coil and not the shocks that determine the ride quality (with my limited technical knowledge) as the after market coil spring is thicker and more compressed to allow for a heavier load, the ride quality is compromised - hence the dilemma - and if you leave OME’s on, your load carrying capacity reduces and longevity off road is compromised. My understanding and speaking to quite a few “experts” will agree the coil determines the ride quality with the support of a good shock.

Hence my interest in the progressive coil specifically developed by Mitsi Tech which I found very intriguing.
I recently had them do a Decat, EGR block off and a software upgrade on my PS and can say without a doubt these guys knowledge are streets ahead of anyone else I have dealt with - speak to the owner Arnold and see if he can help with this dilemma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:49 am

Yep, the Pajero doesn't like corrugations - especially at low speeds, which is required in the parks.

I don't think it is something that can be improved much with any aftermarket parts.

As JohnG said - its is a monocoque design, so chassis and body are one. A typical bakkie or 4x4 has rubber mounts between the chassis and cabin.
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)
nielsch
Vehicle: 2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD SWB

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Michael, thank you for the answer about the Mitsi Tech guys. I've spoken to Arnold before, and with your testimony about their work quality I can send my vehicle there without a worry.

Niel
2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5 GX
REAList
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DID GLS Swb

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:56 pm

A nice video to look at.
Discussions welcome.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWzp2T6PBs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
REAList

Ride quality on the Pajero

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Another video to look at.
The suspension arm pivot point cannot transmit shocks to the body.
Please observe the shock is more or less mounted halfway on the suspension arm.
Thus it does not transmit shocks at 100% to the body but it is the sole transmitter of shocks - my observation only.
If one looks at a picture the shock absorber and the coil spring is mounted as a unit with the shock at the bottom receiving all the shock loads first. The job to control it falls to the shock absorber.
Thus it makes sense to me to have a shock absorber in place that can handle all the shock loads.
I would love to make a video like this travelling the Kgalagadi roads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1VaFNEhNZP0

REAList

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:40 pm

KurtG wrote:I agree. The Kgalagadi is the worst place I have ever driven. The Pajero is not a fan of the corrugations but when it comes to road handling, it does very well. I don’t think any suspension changes will make a difference, the geometry is the issue and that can’t be changed with new shocks or coils.

Hi Kurt,

Please comment on the EFS system as far as the harshness is concerned over bad corrugations.

Johan

mcowell
Vehicle: 2015 Pajero GLS

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:11 pm

I had a 2006 LWB GLX and now have a 2015 LWB GLS, over time I have had standard shocks, OME suspension on the GLX and now EFS on The GLS and I honestly have not enjoyed Kgalagadi or Etosha corrugations in any of them. I have always felt that the springs are too hard so the progressive coil could be very interesting.
Malcolm
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:32 pm

REAList wrote:
KurtG wrote:I agree. The Kgalagadi is the worst place I have ever driven. The Pajero is not a fan of the corrugations but when it comes to road handling, it does very well. I don’t think any suspension changes will make a difference, the geometry is the issue and that can’t be changed with new shocks or coils.

Hi Kurt,

Please comment on the EFS system as far as the harshness is concerned over bad corrugations.

Johan

The EFS, like any aftermarket Suspension probably would not, has not improved the poor ride on corrugations. For off-roading the extra clearance and harder coils is great, that’s about it.

- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
plouw
Vehicle: SWB Pajero 3.2 DiD 2008

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:48 am

I won’t recommend the Gabriel HDP’s. Good thing about them is the 3 year warranty. I’ve had to replace 4 of them in 2 years! On two seperate occasions. (Complete fails on 3 of them) I think the SWB might be too light for them, the ride in them is very hard!
Si
SirHarry

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi,
Not sure if I went through messages too quickly. I assume tyre pressures were also decreased. Did ride quality persist? At what (safe) pressure level does it start making a difference if at all?
SH

Return to “Suspension, Steering and Brakes”

Login · Register