limp mode

deonengel
Vehicle: 2012 gen IV 3.2 did Exceed LWB

limp mode

Sat May 12, 2018 10:29 am

Hi all, well, here's my problem: the vehicle seems as if going into limp mode. This happens when travelling uphill @ about 3000rpm. The engine feels as if it gets throttled. If, however, I travel normal on as straight road, the vehicle is behaving. When I floor it, it starts this 'limp mode' phenomenon? I had a prvious problem with a 2001 3.2. I changed the map and maf sensor and all was okay. Now I changed the maf sensor, no change? Are there anyone willing to change sensors to find the problem? This is driving me nuts!

Sound advice, if you want to enter in a BBBEE business venture? Think twice! Make sure your i's are dotted and t's are crossed :ugeek:
Eddie du Plessis
Vehicle: 2013 Pajero 3.2 GLS LWB (ZORRO)

Re: limp mode

Sat May 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Deon:

I am not too far from you. I have a 2013 3.2, and we could test the sensor as long as we do not break things that is not broken. :D

Send me your number and I will give you a call, we could maybe try tomorrow, (Sunday) afternoon.

Eddie
Eddie du Plessis
2013 3.2 Pajero GLS LWB - (ZORRO)
Pretoria
noggin
Vehicle: Pajero 2006 3.2 DiD GLS (Gen3)

Sun May 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Have you thought about a sticky turbo wastegate? I had the issue, and the ECU was throwing out an error code "turbo overboost", which it picks up from the inlet manifold pressure sensor. I teed in an exhaust valve into the pressure sensor feeder pipe, with a small little ball valve attached. I slightly cracked the ball valve to reduce the pressure going into the pressure sensor (basically forcing the sense line to dump air to atmosphere). The problem then went away. Obviously this was a temporary solution... anyway, I didn't feel like stripping the turbo to get to the wastegate and decided to do some foot-flat runs for a couple of months. Then I removed my little gizmo and the problem has gone away (hot exhaust gas might have cleaned the soot off the wastegate, but I don't know if that's the case).

The limp mode you refer to is sudden loss of power and disabling of cruise control until you lift your foot and put it down again? Not great when you're overtaking trucks with oncoming traffic!

I had also asked Malcolm about it - he said injector pump, which made my stomach churn. Maybe it is / was the issue but it's gone now. The info is all in the manuals...
ko
kobus louw

Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am

Morning Guys, this story gave me a sudden "Jeda Vu".
Certainly NOT with a Pajero, but the with a Peugeot 407 Diesel, and I know you will say "Du-hu".
Well the fact is that I experienced exactly the same symptoms and it is a Diesel and the same equipment is present.
The following is a typical scenario: This "Powerless" condition is there, it might happen that if you stop, switch your vehicle off and restart it again, the "Problem" might be gone for a while and all of a sudden again, like a bolt from the blue, especially when you accelerate and want to overtake, this phenomenon kicks in and leave you in a serious predicament as there is NO power and if you look in your mirror, a lot of smoke is evident behind your vehicle and it " Feels like" your Turbo has just packed up.
This turned out to be the EGR VALVE.
I am NOT all that clever, but the EGR Valve is a very clever/fancy piece of equipment that recycle some of your "Unused/Unburned/half used" exhaust gasses, which is obvious more when you accelerate, back into the intake system, for re-use, to ensure cleaner exhaust/emission.
I was hoping that the Pajero would not have one of these fancy things, but unfortunately, it is there.
If you can live with a little more blackish exhaust smoke when you accelerate or when your engine is working really hard, have the thing blanked off.
However, I suggest that you talk to Arnold at Mitsi Tech in Alberton to resolve you problem for you in a very efficient way.
I hope my contribution drop your stress levels a little.
Cheers
deonengel

Mon May 14, 2018 5:34 pm

hi guys, well, thanks to Eddie, at least we swapped maf and map sensors, no change :? soooo egr? what does that mean, and what can i do to repair this? ;) i am not keen to 'modify' if this is the problem... Eddie, thank you for your kindness.. ;)
Sound advice, if you want to enter in a BBBEE business venture? Think twice! Make sure your i's are dotted and t's are crossed :ugeek:
deonengel

Wed May 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Well, final verdict... dirty diesel filter...! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.. :lol:
deonengel

Thu May 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi guys, well, 2 days later, I've got my paj back still to sweetness :lol: btw, I now have an imported maf sensor for sale.. R900 or best offer? The maf sensor DOES give problems.. :geek:
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback on your final outcome.

Very intetesting.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register