2016 Pajero LWB: 2nd spare wheel

En
EngelbrechtP

2016 Pajero LWB: 2nd spare wheel

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi,
I am going places with my Pajero where a 2nd spare wheel is a must.

1 I am looking for a 265/60R18 rim and tyre as a 2nd spare wheel.

2 What to do with the 2nd spare?
2a Make a special adapter to carry it vertically on the front bull bar. This may be illegal and it adds to the weight on the front wheels.
2b Buy and have fitted a special dual spare wheel rear bumper with swing arms to allow the door to open. Very expensive.
2c Carry the 2nd spare on the roof rack. Very heavy additional load on roof rack with rooftop tent, awning and spare diesel cans.
2d Carry the 2nd spare inside the vehicle. Space is at a premium and other things will have to stay at home. Wheel becomes a flying bomb when in an accident.

Any comments and other options will be greatly appreciated.

KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Re: 2016 Pajero LWB: 2nd spare wheel

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:57 pm

Buy a tyre only and two or three tyre levers, then carry the tyre on the roof or strap it to the back of the car.
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
En
EngelbrechtP

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:15 am

I suppose a spare tube will also help. I do believe it is a difficult job to inflate a tubeless tyre in the bush. Any ideas on how to do that?
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:10 pm

A decent compressor and enough Sunlight Liquid should do the trick. If you decide on a tube, please ensure the valve will fit in the rim. I couldn't find one for my Pajero a few years back.

PS: a snot-plug set is your first line of defence.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:32 pm

I just want to add the importance / benefit of a Tyre Monitoring System as well!

I was stopped on 6 occasions on our trip through Namibia last year by the TPMS. On 5 occasions I could "Plug and Pump" and be on my way. I even got a fairly large cut repaired using 3x snot plugs in one hole! (Insert them without the Solution, otherwise they pop out! :twisted: :lol: )

In one case the hole was too big for plugs and I had to change to the spare.

My travel buddy had one flat, during which he ruined the tyre - No TPMS. :(

(Note to self - Remember to upgrade to a six tyre TPMS to also monitor the caravan before the next trip! :D )
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
tr
trekker1

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:05 pm

We've used your 2C option on many remote trips around north west and west Namibia from Zimbabwe .When inverted, the rim is ideal for storage or firewood. The Mk1 is not a tar roadrunner, but we've had no top heavy concerns with a RTT and fuel. I do pack the interior with weighty items as low as possible.

Return to “Rims and Tyres”

Login · Register