17 inch rims yes or no?

guymiddleton
Vehicle: Mitsubishi pajero 3lv6 1999 model

17 inch rims yes or no?

Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:09 pm

Hi everybody.

This has always been a burning question regardless of what vehicle one drives. I have just swopped my car for a 1999 pajero 3 door 3l v6 manual petrol. It comes with 17 inch mags ( alu) tyres 285x65x17. The van should actually come with 15 inch rims and tyres. The question how does that effect fuel consumption. I have been in motor manufacturing for many years and I was always told that if you tamper with original manufactures specs that will effect your fuel. Is this the case? Opinion will be greatly appreciated.

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Re: 17 inch rims yes or no?

Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:10 pm

You will find those that say does not effect.

What I found is that the effect was most noticeable with an auto but will still effect a manual but not as noticeable. Also if towing it will again make a noticeable difference. To prove a point I went opposite (smaller dia) at one stage and there was an actual improvement in towing with my auto. My son gave me a hard time as he said it looked weird :roll: .
guymiddleton

Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:40 am

peterpot wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:10 pm
You will find those that say does not effect.

What I found is that the effect was most noticeable with an auto but will still effect a manual but not as noticeable. Also if towing it will again make a noticeable difference. To prove a point I went opposite (smaller dia) at one stage and there was an actual improvement in towing with my auto. My son gave me a hard time as he said it looked weird :roll: .
Hi.
Thanks for the info. My Pajero with the 17 inch tyres its high off the ground which I like but when i look at the vehicle as a Standard vehicle I should have 15 inch rims on. The 17 inch rims are reasonable light as they are not steel but aluminium. I have not had another comment yet from somebody who has 17 inch tyres on regarding fuel consumption and handling. I have had the van now going for my second week and find that the ride is also bumpy but yes that is 4x4 . I filled the tank and drove to work every day for the week. The fuel gauge ended on 3/4 and I had driven 220km. I know with some vehicles the gauge stays near the top for long and then suddenly starts dropping. If 17inch is not ideal for this vehicle then I am going to have to swop these rims locally for 15 inch mags.
janna_476
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero swb blister

Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:34 pm

I run 17 inch rims with 275/65 tyres not sure about fuel consumption differeence but handles great
guymiddleton

Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:11 pm

janna_476 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:34 pm
I run 17 inch rims with 275/65 tyres not sure about fuel consumption differeence but handles great
Hi.

Thanks for the reply. The tyres I have currently on are 285x65x17 The rims are very light weight alu rims. Handling I cant comment much on yet as I have only been driving town driving. I find the tyres fairly bumpy. Also I found something else out today that this particular size one cant just get off the shelf has to be ordered with a deposit or full payment first. It was recommended to go to 265x65x17 which is available of the shelf and also R600 cheaper that my tyres. Alternatively go to 255x70x15. My sparewheel is a 15 inch at this stage.

Return to “Rims and Tyres”

Login · Register