HINT: Camping List for Extended Stay or Remote Expeditions.

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
Fi
Fielies

HINT: Camping List for Extended Stay or Remote Expeditions.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:59 am

Camping List for Extended Stay or Remote Expeditions.

# Maps, GPS Co-ordinates and information about the area
# Compass or GPS
# Duct Tape
# Flashlight
# Gas Lanterns
# Mosquito repellent
# Lighter, matches
# Firewood
# A knife and/or Multi tool
# Toilet paper
# Towel
# Water purification tablets
# Backpack
# Cooler or Fridge
# Cooking Pans
# Cutlery and Crockery
# Paper towels
# Folding camping chairs and tables
# Sleeping bag
# Sleeping foam pad or air mattress
# Gas stove and grill
# Tarps and ground sheets
# Tent(s)
# Bathing suit
# Flip flops
# Hiking boots or Good walking shoes
# Rain jacket
# Sunglasses
# Sun block
# Binoculars
# Bottle opener
# Jacket
# Food, Water and Snacks
# Trash bags (keep the environment clean!)
# Extra keys
# Sunscreen
# Hats
# Camera, case, film and batteries

Expanded List for an extended Expedition!

The Expanded list includes items, tools and gadgets that you may want to consider if you are planning an extended expedition.

# Winch and Winch Accessories
# Onboard Welder, welding supplies and welding gear
# Onboard air compressor
# Parts that have broken twice before (if you can't carry it, you should have upgraded it)

4x
4x4 Outthere

Re: HINT: Camping List for Extended Stay or Remote Expeditions.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:39 pm

HI
Maybe you guys can think of buying yourself one of these small Cordless Drills. But look for the 12V one. I bought one and took the Battery off and fitted my own wiring with two crocodile clamps to it. Now I run it of my vehicle battery and you will just about never run out of battery.
It is always in my vehicle with a couple of standard drill bits. I had to repair an A-Frame once of a Trailer that broke of completely. What I did is I took two Hi-Lift jack legs....stripped everything of put one on both side of the trailers A-Frame and drill the holes into the existing A-Frame and bolt it on. We completed another 1600km with this modification and a big part of it was in Chobe and Moremi.
You should’ve seen the relief on everybody’s faces when we could continue.
Just a TIP
Fi
Fielies

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:18 am

Hello Tinus,

That a very good idea. Will that 12V battery be able to jump start a vehicle as well? Just thinking about the compact size and that you can store it almost everywhere in you car. If so then you should get one that you can charge from your car as well. Better to keep it charged, no use trying to do it while the car batt is flat. Ha ha
to
tonton

Re: HINT: Camping List for Extended Stay or Remote Expeditio

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:32 am

Great tip, Thinus!
Fielies wrote:...Will that 12V battery be able to jump start a vehicle as well? ...
You'll probably melt the battery after one swing! The amps will be too low to start an engine. But you could carry a second car battery - even if not connected to the first - and keep that charged via an inverter.

Anton
Fi
Fielies

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:15 am

Guys,

Sorry its monday so I might be a bit confused? What's the use then of having a 12V battery handy with crocodile clamps if you can only use it for a drill? I would assume maybe for a 12V light maybe??
to
tonton

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:07 am

Fielies wrote:Guys,

Sorry its monday so I might be a bit confused? What's the use then of having a 12V battery handy with crocodile clamps if you can only use it for a drill? I would assume maybe for a 12V light maybe??
Fielies,

I think Tinus' idea is not to have a battery for the drill, but rather to use it directly from the car battery. Hand-held drills' batteries run down fast, and the last thing you need in a bush-reparation is a flat battery on the drill. So Thinus has a 12V drill with a cord that clips onto his car battery.

Anton
4x
4x4 Outthere

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks for explaining that one Fielies...It is what I ment. Most of us doing the serious things have dual battery=ies anyway. So the chance that you will run them flat with the drill is almost zero ;)
4x
4x4 Outthere

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Sorry .... I mean Anton. Now I am like Fielies :oops:
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 am

Fielies,

I only now came across your list, good one.

You did however forget to take your spade with and you cannot make wood because you also left your axe at home. I hope you gave your spare keys to your buddy and he gave his spare ones to you. And I don't mean your buddy that didn't go on the trip with you :twisted: I recommend you swap keys with one that is actually on your trip as well.

Some form of puncture repair kit is also handy - even if only a "snotplug" set. If the going is expected to be tough, then a spare inner-tube and gator and tyre levers could be handy as well. A compressor is good, but even a manual "brandborsie" can save the day.

If there is going to be lots of sand driving, then a base-plate for the jack can also be worth it's weight in gold.

If I mentioned anything here that is already on your list, then I apologise.
Roelf
Bl
Blister

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:07 pm

4x4 Outthere wrote:HI
Maybe you guys can think of buying yourself one of these small Cordless Drills. But look for the 12V one. I bought one and took the Battery off and fitted my own wiring with two crocodile clamps to it. Now I run it of my vehicle battery and you will just about never run out of battery.
It is always in my vehicle with a couple of standard drill bits. I had to repair an A-Frame once of a Trailer that broke of completely. What I did is I took two Hi-Lift jack legs....stripped everything of put one on both side of the trailers A-Frame and drill the holes into the existing A-Frame and bolt it on. We completed another 1600km with this modification and a big part of it was in Chobe and Moremi.
You should’ve seen the relief on everybody’s faces when we could continue.
Just a TIP
Hi Tinus!

What an excellent idea. Went to Ryobi yesterday to replace the portable screwdriver battery pack as it does not want to charge anymore. They politely told me to throw it away as the battery cost more than portable screw driver complete. The only mod I would do is to put a lighter fitting on the wires as oppose to the croc clamps. I also have a 12V (motorbike size) with a recepticle for a lighter thus making the screw driver portable

Thanks again

Aslam

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register