What solar panel and regulator is best?

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
Da
Davidvan

What solar panel and regulator is best?

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:09 pm

I am looking at solar solutions for typical 5 day remote stay to charge and rotate between 2 x 105AH batteries, 1 is deep cycle and the other high cycle, have got a few 90AH as well, but very heavy to trek around.

That would be the max stay at 1 location without driving or without a good charge with a CTEK charger.

That would run a single 40l Campmaster fridge at mostly 0 degrees, LED lighting, ice maker and odd heater (Max draw of 400W)through a 1000W inverter for 10 minutes to heat the tent for the little one for the daily wash, to make it more comfortable ( OK we had snow in the berg in April and that worked great, but took 5 batteries = very heavy load). I am looking for a good quality 80 to 100W fixed solar panel with frame and controller and some cabling to suit.

What have you done with solar, what worked and what didn't?

I have been checking planmypower and bushpower as well as squirreldirect, and I am not looking for an expensive solution, but 1 which would last and which would allow me to function with 2 batteries.

Any input would be great. Budget is no more than R2000 to start with the basics which appears possible and expand from there (longer cables if required, etc).

We usually camp where there is no electricity, which usually means no noise or loud music at camp (nice peace and quiet), and where possible bush camping.

Off to Sondela Tambuki camp for the long weekend ( all because of paw_by_paws pic a few months back - THANKS :-)) and then berg again in December with no power. Both will be the typical 5 days with minimal driving. Just bush,( OK bush with babies and close to home with no malaria) plakkies and a few cold ones.

Cheers

David

Th
Theunsb

Re: What solar panel and regulator is best?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Google Setsolar.
Bought 90 solar panel and regulator plus connectors from them to connect direct to offroad caravan and loose batterypack.
Cost about just shy of R2,000
PM for more details please.
Da
Davidvan

Re: What solar panel and regulator is best?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks a mil Theuns, will check it out. Much appreciated

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register