Conqueror Commander Caravan

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
ch
chris

Conqueror Commander Caravan

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi Guys,
Anyone out there be able to tell their experience of a Conqueror Commander Caravan?I am looking to buy one and have seen some negative comments regarding the step and door not closing when step is out and something about the kitchen unit not closing properly . Any comments will help.
Thanks

mi
michacoetzee

Re: Conqueror Commander Caravan

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Me and my Wife's Commander is being delivered tomorrow (9 Feb)
We had a good look on all types of offroad caravans before we decided to buy.Choice was between this or a Kavango.
(I prefer independant suspension)
I liked the idea of having a spare wheel with hub and bearings fitted just incase, and.... the large 2x2 meter bed.
Its made of steel and alluminium, and with that I can work.
On the newer types (2008 onward) the drawers are not fixed to the drawer door therefore I see no reason for the door not to close properly.
The steps when folded out can easily be seen if not folded out completely. This can only occur if hinges are tight.
All the ones we had a look at, had neither of these problems, and no rust present. (Galvanised and powder coated)
First trip planned for April to Botswana, Caprivi, Epupa falls and down to Swakopmund passing Puros and Sesfontein
(Kaokoland)
Happy caravan hunting!
Micha
ch
chris

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi Micha,
Yip as you said it all happened so quickly. I picked up a Commander for 158 000 bought in Dec 2009 and now resold with everything in it except two gas bottles and the geyser. I had the tent extended by two and a half meter just for that extra space and opted not to take the shower tent as that proved a bit expensive for the perpose instead bought a pop up shower cubicle. This van has been used once for two weeks in Dec at Sodwana and is also going to be registered as a 2010 model.

Hope you have wonderfull trip and will look out for your trip details.
I planned a similar trip for this year but had to cancel due to changing of job and will plan for next year.

GOOD CAMPING :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ti
Tim S

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi,

A friend of mine has one and from what I can see, his issues are: 1) the tent and awnings are made of "ribstock" and is not a very watertight material. 2) the sliding drawer runner on which the fridge and sink is mounted "droops" quite a lot. It clearly cannot take the weight and needs beefing up. 3) The kitchen is the centre of your activities while camping and he removed the left side window to install a kitchen unit to make it more user friendly. This is slightly more successful but you still have to unpack most of your kitchen from inside to outside when setting up.

Other than those trivial issues it's a very nice unit.

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register