Newbie Advice

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
LeonWol
Vehicle: 2006 Pajero 3.2 DiD SWB GLX

Newbie Advice

Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:34 pm

Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a new to me SWB, it has +- 345 000 Kms on the clock and a regular service history. The vehicle performs very well and is generally in great condition for its age.

I would greatly appreciate the forums input on the following:

1. Are there specific mechanical things I should be preemptively checking? 

2. There is quite a pronounced noise when turning sharply at low speed (when pulling into parkings). Is this a common thing or should I have the steering rack looked at?

3. I am looking to fit aftermarket rims with a slightly wider offset to broaden the track. Any experience or suggestions on options?

Thank you for reading this and in advance for any input you could provide.

Best Regards,

Leon
Attachments
Bucket.jpg

Pajero_Rob
Vehicle: 3.2 DiD 2006

Re: Newbie Advice

Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:53 am

Hey Leon,

Congrats on the new ride - I have the LWB, also 2006.

1. Is yours diesel or petrol?
2. I would consider going to a mechanic you trust to drive with you, have a listen, and possibly spend an hour having a look at loose bolts etc. It's so difficult to say, it might be nothing, it might be something. However, a pronounced sound when turning is not common if there's nothing wrong.
3. I've been looking for similar for quite some time. I don't want the tyres to stick out, but I do want a more aggressive stance. I think zero offset would work well, but I've really been struggling to find 2nd hand. New seems like the best (although expensive) option, steel rims are more affordable.

Rob - Centurion Area
LeonWol
Vehicle: 2006 Pajero 3.2 DiD SWB GLX

Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:16 pm

Thank you for the response @Pajero_Rob,

1. It is a Diesel.
2. It seems the steering rack itself is loose, it is booked in tomorrow to diagnose if it needs new cups/bushings or just a tightening.
3. On the wheels, agree, I am just looking for a flush fitment not a standing out but filling the arches - if you find an option please let me know.

Once again, thank you for the input, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Leon
Pajero_Rob
Vehicle: 3.2 DiD 2006

Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:55 am

Hey Leon,

1. Some say to add a diesel additive every second tank or so. Then, I've been given great advice to rather fill up when the tank is at the quarter mark. Ours accidentally ran dry (the light wasn't working and my wife just drove it, waiting for the light to come on), and we had to have the diesel pump and the injectors recon'd- R40k. Otherwise super reliable motor.
2. Hope it's sorted without too much cost.
3. The guys at Mitsu tech Peformance Alberton are selling sets of new triton 18" wheels including new tyres for R12k. This is an incredible price... it still doesn't have the offset though.

I spoke with oom Henk from Mitsubishi Maintenance in Wonderboom, he says 25mm spacers on each hub is the most affordable (R4k).

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”

Login · Register