Delay when auto-gearbox shift 2nd to 3rd, intermittent

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
Philip12
Vehicle: Pajerosport 2012

Delay when auto-gearbox shift 2nd to 3rd, intermittent

Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:07 pm

I have a 2012 Pajerosport, 3.2 DiD A/T GLS. Bought the car just after it hit 190 000km. It has a full service history and I'm 85% sure it got it's transfer and gearbox oil changes at 180 000km, as required (unless I'm mistaken about when it should happen).

The vehicle did have a shifting issue prior, but turned out to be a cable or switch, which was easily and inexpensively resolved (I bought from a family member, so know the full history).

Anyway, car just went in for it's 200 000km service. So haven't done a lot of driving in the past year. But I've noticed, I think specifically, when warm, toward the latter part of a 2 hour drive, when I hit a certain stretch of slightly uphill road with loads of robots and stop/starts (so under very specific conditions) I have issues shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It shift over at around 60kph, but then delays 1-2 seconds before getting into 3rd and going on. If I keep accelerator depressed revs climb, as it would in a manual if you hit the clutch, but don't release the go-pedal. I'm not in the habit that when this issue pokes it's head out I release the accelerator when I feel the shift from 2 to 3, which is weird in an auto. It seems like the problem goes away if I switch off and start again. But I drive 80% in the city and rarely get to 60kph. As I said, very intermittent and I only notice the issue pop up under very specific conditions, but it's happened on other occasions as well.

I have my car at a bosch service center today. They couldn't get the issue to appear on their drive around, but a diagnostic showed a potential issue with a shifter solenoid, apparently inside the gearbox, which they would need to remove and disassemble and replace the solenoid (if possible) or recon the whole gearbox, or, god forbid, replace. They're talking about this costing R10k +, depending on the repair. And if it's a new gearbox, well, ouch.

Sorry, long story, hope it makes sense. Any advice? Anyone been through something similar? Do I ask them to go through the stripping process or anything else I can try first?

Philip12
Vehicle: Pajerosport 2012

Re: Delay when auto-gearbox shift 2nd to 3rd, intermittent

Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:51 am

Update:

Got car back from service center. They test drove and felt the delay on shift from 2-3rd. Plugged in the diagnostic tool and got a fault code P1770 (shift solenoid stuck off) and U1102 (fuel & air monitoring / glow plugs) on the gear control section. The U1102 fault code is very strange - how is this related to the gear control? Anyone?

They apparently went through the trouble shoot in the w/s manual for that fault code, but found nothing. That's why they wanted to remove the gearbox, strip and check the solenoid - which is a hell of a job, and not cheap, so I didn't do it. I would rather do oils, flush, replace filter, etc. first.

Anyway, they cleared the faults, went for another drive and found no delay. So I picked up the car and haven't had an issue since. But I haven't been driving that hard, so the jury is still out.

Return to “Drivetrain”