Automatic gearbox “thud”

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
KalahariTemmer
Vehicle: Pajero 2007 3.2 Auto DiD Diesel

Automatic gearbox “thud”

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:25 am

I drive a 2007 DiD automatic with 290k on the clock. Many wonderful memories from around the Country, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Namibia. The auto gearbox simply packed up and I paid for a reconditioned gearbox. Everything is fine but there is a serious “thud” when changing between 4th and 5th - both in manual mode and auto. When it changes from 4th to 5th, it is as if there is a slight braking sensation followed by a hard “thud”. When it is in 5th it runs smooth. Changing back from 5th is smooth with no problems. Just the hard “thud” from 4 to 5. When I drive in manual and I want to change from 4th to 5th, I take my foot from the accelerator pedal to take all pressure from the gearbox, and then change to 5th, resulting in a softer “thud”. The gearbox company who installed the replacement gearbox has been trying now for months to locate the problem but to no avail. I would hate to get rid of the vehicle as it is a wonderful vehicle. Any similar experiences out there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andre.loots
Vehicle: 2006 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB Auto

Re: Automatic gearbox “thud”

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:27 am

I drive a 2010 3.2 DiD, I have the same issue but only when the vehicle is cold so I thought it would be lack of lubrication during cold starts. On long runs and under load I have not experienced the same problem.
Andre
KalahariTemmer
Vehicle: Pajero 2007 3.2 Auto DiD Diesel

Re: Automatic gearbox “thud”

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:30 am

andre.loots wrote:I drive a 2010 3.2 DiD, I have the same issue but only when the vehicle is cold so I thought it would be lack of lubrication during cold starts. On long runs and under load I have not experienced the same problem.
Thanx Andre. I will again check all the fluids and see if there is a difference. Been battling with this for so long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register

Latest Posts