Gearbox limp mode on deceleration

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
Andyrtmorgan
Vehicle: 2005 Pajero 3.2

Gearbox limp mode on deceleration

Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi folks, I’ve recently purchased a 2005 3.2 auto which I absolute love, except for one thing. After driving for a while (1/2 hr or so) on a long decline, she’ll kick into limp mode while downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Neutral light flashes and won’t shift above 3rd.

I pull over, turn her off and on again and the problem goes. Until the next descent! If I’m on a flattish freeways, there’s no problem!

I had her checked and an input speed sensor error showed. I had that swapped out, but the problem persists.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
Hillcrest, Durban

3.2 Gen 3
pajerodan
Vehicle: 2007 series4 3.2 Pajero 5door GLX

Re: Gearbox limp mode on deceleration

Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:27 am

Hi Andy

It probably is the selector switch on the gearbox, I had the same problem and it was replaced and problem solved.

I think it is about R2000 to replace. Mine was replaced by Donovan from Motobishi Centre in George and he told me he always have stock as it is a common problem.

Hope it will solve your problem!
Andyrtmorgan

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks... I'll look into that!
3.2 Gen 3
Andyrtmorgan

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:25 pm

So I got the selector switch swapped out, the problem persisted. Gearbox place suggested we clean out the valves. We did that. Still not fixed... R7k in now! Any other ideas? I’ve read that it could be the torque converter?
3.2 Gen 3
EricS
Vehicle: 2005 Pajero 3.2 DI D SWB

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:54 pm

Did you get this problem sorted out, I now have the same problem. Both traction control lights come on and the neutral green light flashes and the gearbox won't go passed 3rg gear. Do you have any other ides to sort this out...
Leovans
Vehicle: Pajero BK Gen 4 DiDC SWB

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:45 pm

EricS wrote:Did you get this problem sorted out, I now have the same problem. Both traction control lights come on and the neutral green light flashes and the gearbox won't go passed 3rg gear. Do you have any other ides to sort this out...
I don't have this problem, but I parked mine for two days, got in to drive today, and no gears. Niks, Nada.
Did you solve the issues above?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Jessie_RSA
Vehicle: Pajero

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:04 am

So I am having a similar issue. Sometimes when I start the car it's already in limp mode stuck in qst gear. Sometimes it fixes it self but now it's been in limp mode for 2 days.
A guy did a diagnostic previously when I had the problem, said could not find the problem or does not pick up anything.
Then another checked the ABS sensors (as the traction control light, abs light Comes on and centre diff flashes) did diagnostic test again. Said it was fine.
limp mode again - Guy said the abs ring is damaged - needed to replace the CV joint. Did that. Still no change.
Been going in and out of limp mode but now no change. Tried at home diagnostic, doesn't pick up the cars ECU.
Could the ECU been the problem all along?

(Also picked up it definitely happens when I try to put it in 4x4)

What do I ask them to check except for the ECU.
REALLY been a struggle as no one takes a women seriously in the industry.
hend
Vehicle: Pajero gen4 LWB GLS

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi Jesse
Where are you based? In Pta or Jhb area contact Arnold at Mitsitech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register