Gen4 ATF fluid change DIY guide

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
Ruck20
Vehicle: 2012 SWB Exceed

Gen4 ATF fluid change DIY guide

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 pm

Hi, I have searched on the forum and googled. Is there any guide to a DIY ATF fluid change available? I have found a few good guides for the Gen3, is there a marked difference? Similarly I am totally confused between the partial and the complete change.

Any advice would be appreciated. Great service from Mathew at Ravenol, oil arrived. Just need to know how to do the maintenance now.

Thanks

cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Re: Gen4 ATF fluid change DIY guide

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:05 pm

Ruck20,

Do a complete change. By doing a full change you automatically get the old oil and gunk out of the ATF cooler as well. Check in the technical section for a full guide on how to change the ATF oil. It is a simple job and well within the a "junior" DIY capability.

Cloyd
Ruck20
Vehicle: 2012 SWB Exceed

Sun May 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Thanks, I shall check out the technical section.
ben.koch
Vehicle: 2004 pajero swb

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:56 am

Hi Ruck20
Do one have to change the filter as well what is the recommended ATF
Thanks
Ben

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ROBNICK@50
Vehicle: Shogun 3,5 GDI

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi I did my Gen 3, purchased ATF from Mitsubishi. As various threads said if use anything else you will get a problem. Got engine and gearbox warmed up after a short drive. Remove front grill to access transmission oil cooler. Remove top clamp and pipe, connect a pipe into a transparent bottle. You need another person to start stop car. Place in N let it run on idle stop the car when fluid stops. Drain auto fluid into a container combine the two see how much is there. Replace sump plug fill up with same amount. With oil cooler still disconnected start in N once clean oil coming stop. Replace pipe clamp see what's oil come out. Replace same amount. Take car for a run warm up oil when back home on level ground with car running in N check for correct level. I'm presuming as driven D and R used. If not prior to level check work thru gears. Then check level again engine must be running. I got 3 x 4 lt tins had 1 lt left after flush. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A205F using Tapatalk

V for Vendetta
Vehicle: 3.8 SWB

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Just my input. I have never used Mitsubishi oil for the gearbox, I used any of the reputable brands, Shell, Castrol, Havoline, etc.
And have never had a problem, just changed mine once a year, a bit excessive, but then an oil change is cheaper that a gearbox repair. Same goes for the engine oil. Shell Full Synthetic, 4 W-40, shop bought filter, Fram, Gud, etc. Seeing as Mitsubishi don't make oil per say, (yes they have it made for them), it stands to reason to use what the oil manufactures make. I actually went to Rivonia at the bottom of Witkoppen and asked the dealer what oil for the engine, Shell, Castrol, etc. So sorry to open this can of worms AGAIN. So before I get shot down, just regular oil changes and filters and all will be well. My Gen 2 did over 600.000 on regular shop bought oil and filters, till it was "liberated".
Attachments
Calm.jpg

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register