Starter problem 2003 3.2DiD. Pinion gear or flywheel?

richhole
Vehicle: Pajero

Starter problem 2003 3.2DiD. Pinion gear or flywheel?

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:36 pm

200,000km and has always started on the button. Starter is original and never overhauled. Then today, she will not start: after initially engaging the engine the starter then spins with but without turning the engine. I suspect the pinion gear so plan to remove the starter and have it overhauled. However, is it possible that I have broken fly wheel teeth, in which case a refurbished starter will be no use? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Many thanks

V for Vendetta
Vehicle: 3.8 SWB

Re: Starter problem 2003 3.2DiD. Pinion gear or flywheel?

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:02 am

Welcome.
As the starter is the easiest to check, pardon the pun, start there. It's only a couple of bolts and cables, and most car electrical people will check it for free. if you plan on keeping the car longer, then go for a reconditioned unit, at least you have a reasonable
warranty. It could be the Bendix has thrown its toys out the cot. And that is pretty easy to replace. My Gen 2 did over 600.000 kms before it was "liberated", everything was original, and apart from normal consumables, never let me down. One of the most reliable cars i have ever owned. i hope you come right.
Attachments
Will_You_Please.jpg

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”

Login · Register