Calling all Suspension Experts

NatureFan
Vehicle: Pajero

Calling all Suspension Experts

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi there, my 2007 Pajero LWB (270000km) is making noises which I don't like, every time it goes over or through a bump. Irrespective of speed or height of bump. Have recently had tyres, shocks and front brake pads replaced. Wheel alignment and tyre pressure do not seem to make a difference.
At the last service a week ago, Henk (Pajero Maintenance, Pretoria) discovered that a bolt on the body plate has stripped. He has jammed the body plate with rubber wedges to test if that is the source of the noise, but if anything it is now worse. The clonking or grunting noise appears to me to be more pronounced front right.

Does anyone know of a suspension expert in or near Pretoria that might be able to check whether I am imagining things or whether attention is warranted?

Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Any and all advice in this regard would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Re: Calling all Suspension Experts

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:02 pm

My previous 2008 model had to have the stabilizer bar links replaced in order to get rid of a noise on the front suspension. Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:46 pm

It sounds like you have an aftermarket bashplate on. I had a terrible clunk on my Pajero when I tightened the nuts too much on the aftermarket bashplate. So much so that I think replaced a whole bunch of bushes for no good reason. Anyway. Maybe remove the bashplate and drive it like that for a day or two to see if it has any effect on the noise.

CATS

Sent from my LM-G810 using Tapatalk

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
ken
Vehicle: Pajero 2009 3.20 ID GLS Auto LWB

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 am

I have the same "knocking" sound from my front suspension (275,000 km) . Changed the tie rods and suspension plates but still here. Would appreciate some advice.
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:51 pm

ken wrote:I have the same "knocking" sound from my front suspension (275,000 km) . Changed the tie rods and suspension plates but still here. Would appreciate some advice.
Stabilizer bar links?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
NatureFan
Vehicle: Pajero

Tue May 17, 2022 3:47 pm

Many thanks for everyone's input.

Since I first posted about the problem, I have had the front bushes replaced (one had to be replaced twice in very short succession because it broke almost immediately. The part of the cover on the bottom of the vehicle which had stripped a bolt, has now been completely removed. The front part is still on. This is standard issue and I understand that this is not actually a bash plate but a snow protector. I was hoping to have a bash plate on by now, but no - not yet.

In repairing the bushes, the left front eccentric bracket was damaged, making the wheels 'unalignable' and that was repaired.

Unfortunately the clonking noise is now getting worse. I have recently been on some dirt roads and honestly, it sounds as though something is about to break off. You don't hear it when going at a bit of speed or on a tar road. Only when going very slowly on a rough patch of dirt road. and then it sounds as though the engine or the exhaust or some other large part near the front is loose and bashing against something else (very rhythmic but not a vibration - it is a definite movement). When I stop, it occasionally knocks once or twice more but then it also stops.

I have asked every person working on the vehicle (mechanic, tyres, suspension experts and battery fundi) to look out for something that is loose but everyone swears there is nothing and everything looks good.

But clearly, it isn't. I now find myself with an awesome 4x4 that I cannot even take onto a dirt road as I can't afford more damage.... And all the fundis think I am going off my rocker because they dont hear it.

I am beginning to wonder if one of the bushes has gone again, but then the rhythmic nature doesn't make sense?

Any more ideas will be most highly welcomed. Having been assured that all was well, I am currently in Stilbaai (many, many miles from home) - if you know of anyone in the (more-or-less) vicinity that 'understands' a Gen4 Paj and might be able to identify the problem (or at least help me to decide if this is serious or not), I would appreciate a heads-up!
PierresPajero
Vehicle: 2003 Pajero 3.2 di-d LWB

Sun May 22, 2022 6:49 pm

@NatureFan does the sound persist even when you apply the brakes?
PierresPajero
Vehicle: 2003 Pajero 3.2 di-d LWB

Sun May 22, 2022 6:49 pm

@NatureFan does the sound persist even when you apply the brakes?
Mr B
Vehicle: 3.2DID swb

Mon May 23, 2022 1:27 pm

I Have simmilar cluncking sounds......I think.....
What I found s that the guidepins on the brake callipers are tooo looose inside the holes in the callipers......
I think the pins didnt wear but rather the holes int he callipers are gettiing bigger ....worn ....
that makes for clunk nois when I travel over a Hobbly tar surface and sounds even worse on dirt roards,,,,,and even worse on corrugated dirt roads....
any comments

you welcome
DuaneStav
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 2012 (Manual)

Tue May 24, 2022 8:06 pm

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm going to add to this thread a question on the topic of shocks and rear stabilzer link pin bushes. To be specific about what vehicle: I have a pajero sport (2012/Gen4) - manual :).

Following the 100 000km service last week I was advised the following:
1. Front and original shocks "worn" but actually it appears the bushes are worn where the shock joins the vehicle anatomy that goes to the wheel. Seems like the bush is a "sacrificial part" which could be pressed out and replaced instead of replacing the whole shock. The actual shock seems fine. Has anyone tried this? Any ideas on what bush/part number?
2. I was advised stabilizer link pin bushes needs replacing. Would anyone recommend any other source than Mitsubishi part?

Hoping someone is able to share their knowledge and experience :)

Cheers,
Duane

Return to “Suspension, Steering and Brakes”

Login · Register