Excessive 'Play' on rear trailing arm bushes? - Pajero Gen 4 Auto

Tony M
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero GLS LWB

Excessive 'Play' on rear trailing arm bushes? - Pajero Gen 4 Auto

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:32 pm

I was under my Pajero Gen 4 auto this morning when I noticed that the trailing arm was 'offset' against the mounting rubbers.
Trailing Arm-2.jpg
Trailing Arm.jpg
Is this normal or does it show excessive rubber softness?
The vehicle is on al almost level driveway (slight drop to the rear) and rocking the Pajero one can see there's quite a lot of 'to and fro' movement on these bushes where the railing arm connects to the chassis.
Normal movement or a sign of worn bushes?
Note there are some marks on the steel (no idea how they got there) but also on the rubber 'rings' that are visible on the bush sides (areas that are black instead of dirt coloured. The black (clean rubber) area on the right side bush is a little 'flat' rather than round showing some wear.

I would be gratefully for any comments.

TIA.

RoelfleRoux
Vehicle: 2008 3.8V6 LWB Pajero

Re: Excessive 'Play' on rear trailing arm bushes? - Pajero Gen 4 Auto

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:55 pm

I had the bushes on my Gen4 replaced at about 140k km. A suspension shop simply pushed new rubber bushes into the place of the old ones. I did the front wishbones and all four shocks at the same time. It really isn't a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

rv
rvanhuys

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:24 am

I think it's normal. I was also concerned, but after replacing the bushes on both ends (with rubber, not poly) on my 2003 Gen3 at 320 000km, I can still quite easily twist the trailing arms by hand. The front bush is not solid rubber, it has two quite large voids. I guess it needs to cater for some change in effective length as the suspension moves, so a stiffer bush may well transfer more harshness.
Tony M
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero GLS LWB

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:50 am

rvanhuys wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:24 am
I think it's normal. I was also concerned, but after replacing the bushes on both ends (with rubber, not poly) on my 2003 Gen3 at 320 000km, I can still quite easily twist the trailing arms by hand. The front bush is not solid rubber, it has two quite large voids. I guess it needs to cater for some change in effective length as the suspension moves, so a stiffer bush may well transfer more harshness.
Thanks for the feedback!
The question relates to a bigger problem I have.
Just running through the possible causes.

Kind regards
kobus louw
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero Gen4 GLX

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:26 am

Hi Folks, I think, NO, I know, it is time to attend to the suspension rubbers on Old Faithfulll.
At 270K kilos, I am pretty sure I need to change them before something alse get damaged, like my ego, should I get stranded on my next trip.
Can anyone direct me to a website or you-tube video that explain how to go about this job to do it properly.
I perform all the work on my vehicle by myself and do not want to reinvent the wheel.
I got some super assistance from information on the web before, like changing the transmission oil, park brake matters and even Kurts magical brackets on the dash rattle.
Help tog ‘n bietjie.
Baie dankie en 4x4 groete
Old Man E Suspension
Extra Fuel Tank
Self Installed Dual Battery System
Front Runner Roof Rack
kasselman
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero Sport 2.5D-ID 4x4

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 am

RoelfleRoux wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:55 pm
I had the bushes on my Gen4 replaced at about 140k km. A suspension shop simply pushed new rubber bushes into the place of the old ones. I did the front wishbones and all four shocks at the same time. It really isn't a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Hi Roelf,

Kan jy vir my se waar ek nuwe bushed kan laat in sit op my Pajero Sport 2014 op die rear trailing arms?

Groete.

Return to “Suspension, Steering and Brakes”

Login · Register