Failed rear shock absorber on new Gen.4

PeterH
Vehicle: Pajero Gen4 LWB - 2021

Failed rear shock absorber on new Gen.4

Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:14 pm

I purchased a new Gen.4 LWB in May this year.

Recently on its second major outing to the Richtersveld the rear shock on the drivers side failed resulting in the suspension bottoming out numerous times and damaging the rear bump stop on the driver side.

The car is going to the dealer tomorrow to be repaired - hopefully under guarantee - but I have lost some confidence in the suspension capability . The roads were badly corrugated, but I did not anticipate a shock absorber failing with only 11,000km on the clock.

I have fitted a dual battery to the front, a frontrunner roofrack and an Alucab rooftop tent - but I am nowhere near maximum load levels. On this particular trip I was alone in the vehicle so I estimate at most there was about 400kg load with a full tank of diesel

I have fitted air assist to the back after this trip, but I'm not sure that this is the answer. It was actually the mechanic fitting the air assist that picked up that the one shock had failed totally.

I am considering fitting OME front and back, but am concerned that on the OME website the most recent Pajero model listed is the NW variant (2011-2014). Will this suspension be compatible with a 2021 model?

Comments on the options for suspension upgrades on the latest model would be appreciated.

hend
Vehicle: Pajero gen4 LWB GLS

Re: Failed rear shock absorber on new Gen.4

Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:59 pm

I would take Bilstein shocks in place of OME any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Suspension, Steering and Brakes”

Login · Register