Multi media device (CASKA)

Radios, GPS etc
Ti
Tim S

Multi media device (CASKA)

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone fitted (or seen fitted) the Caska multimedia and navi device. It's marketed by Planetworld. The following are not url links but the addresses to go and look.

http://www.planetworld.co.za
info@planetworld.co.za

The unit is a touch screen with lots of functions. The question I have is wrt the existing display and the cd shuttle. Does the existing functions info display (a/c etc) still work and what happens to the cd shuttle?

Interested to know from anyone who knows.

SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Re: Multi media device

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Tim S wrote:Hi all,
Has anyone fitted (or seen fitted) the Caska multimedia and navi device. It's marketed by Planetworld. The following are not url links but the addresses to go and look.
This has been discussed a few times, but not sure if they answer all your questions

See https://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/sear ... ords=Caska
Simon Bloomer
Pajmugu2
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX (2nd one)

Re: Multi media device (CASKA)

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi Tim S - I have a Gen 4 GLX with the Casca display. What a heap of junk.
Mine is about to be replaced for the 3rd time. The first unit crashed completely, with the voulme and tuning knobs stripping completely.
The 2nd unit the GPS system crashes willy nilly and left me in the dwang.
I now carry a backup Garmin with, so what is the use of spending so much.
The sound is not great either and radio reception is worse than the GPS unit performance.
If I had a choice, I will not run the risk. For the money and less you can install a reeally good system from other suppliers.
Gen 3 GLX 3.2 (Sold)
Gen 4 GLX 3.2
Toy Xtracab 3.0 4x4
Jo
Johanva

Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Tim,

I had the Caska, but after the 2nd replace, I got a unit from Blacklead (www.blacklead.co.za). Functionality is almost the same, have a few nice features like Virtual CD drive etc. Also, it is about a 1/3 of the price.
Ma
Maverick

Thu May 24, 2012 8:09 am

Hi Johan

Can you tell me more about the product from Blacklead? I'm considering ordering one. I live in Bloemfontein and will thus need to find someone to install it. What features does it have? Do I need to purchase GPS software seperately? Does it have a trip computer end does it record fuel consuption?

ia
iamdieter

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:26 pm

My experience of the CASKA

PROS:
- integrates really well into the vehicle, - looks like OEM equipment
- does many things in a single unit... unfortunately non of them really well

CONS:
- Garmap Drive software does not route correctly, it is compleatly inferior to my Quest & Nuvi units
- No up-to-date maps available
- Searching for an address or POI forces the user to enter the city before entering a street or POI name. Try finding something which is not in a city like 'Skukuza' with that logic... impossible.
- Warning screen which you have to 'OK' each time you use the unit (managed to turn this off by modifying the .ini file)
- Default screen is not the current location, but the 'Find' screen
- Radio reception is nowhere near as good as the original unit for the vehicle, i.e. no support of diversity aerials.
- GUI of the radio, DVD, etc. is primitive to say the least, reminds of a very cheap Chinese product (which it is - but expensive to buy)
- No firmaware updates EVER available
- Up and down buttons on the unit work in the wrong direction. I.e. pushing the UP button moves the selection on the screen down and v.v.
- Forget about TV reception (don't need it anyway, but some people might)
- Bluetooth works, but will not give you access to your mobiles phone book.

All in all very dissapointing product, looks very good on paper but is very far from what it needs to be.

The navigation is so bad, I use the Quest & Nuvi again and am very tempted to put the original radio back.

Hope this helps in the decision making.

Return to “Communication and Navigation Equipment”

Login · Register