Bad reception

Radios, GPS etc
Fr
Freshman

Bad reception

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi all,
I've been moving my Garmin Nuvi 300 from car to car, the Pajero being the 4th.
Each time I have no problems with reception but this time I keep on getting low satellite messages.
When I hold the device out the window it connects fine.
Strange as I have it in the same place as previous cars.
I tried to move in across my dash but still getting bad reception.
Is there a reason for this, maybe something causing interference?
Thanks
Pierre

4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Re: Bad reception

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:04 pm

It's most probably the type of glass used in the windscreen glass, which reflects the signal in stead of letting it through the windscreen.
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
pa
paw_by_paw

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Freshman,
I have the same problem with my Nuvi 610. This started after upgrading in December to new version maps.
After much talking and bulls*t from outdoor warehouse where it was done I got hold of Garmin in JHB and explained the problem.
Their comment was that these guys loaded some other thing (something about chipping or something like that) that was not supposed to be loaded with software upgrade and this will cause poor reception as well as slow reaction times. So on Saturday I am off to their offices to upgrade once more with 2011 mapping and the correct software settings. Mine was so slow I passed turn-offs by 300 meters and the thing started screaming RECALCULATING!!!!!. Enough to make you want throw it out of the window :evil:
New mapping and software reset or reload is R350-00 bucks. Will see after that what the response will be.
Regards
Fr
Freshman

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:58 am

Thanks - I will take it to Avnic Trading in Durban for an upgrade.
Else I'll cut a neat hole in my windscreen with a hole-saw :)
Fr
Freshman

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 am

As usual throwing money at a problem solves it :(
It seems I have a UV coated windshield which also blocks the GPS signal, so I need an external antenna like the Garmin GA 25MCX Low Profile Remote antenna or that hole-saw...:)
Thanks
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 pm

I know that problem is common on the Land Rovers, with their flat windscreens. Never heard about it in a Paj. I've used two different models in my Paj, even two next to each other, and never had a problem. Possibly it is the software...
Ge
GertM

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:09 pm

I also think it is some sort of coating on the windscreen that's the culprit'

Cars with rain sensing winscreen wipers have a coating on the windscreen that triggers the wipers to start working. This coating also block out the GPS signal.
pa
paw_by_paw

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:04 pm

GJM,
Sorry to correct you here but the rain sensitive wiper system works on a similar system to these outside spotlights with movement tracking.
The device is situated behind the rear view mirror and it actually works on the movement of rain drops on the window .
It can be adjusted for sensitivity same as for the lights on the wiper handle.
I was fortunate to have this seen as once SWAMBO'S Jetta's windscreen was replaced and after the thing was going haywire due to the sensor plate being installed the wrong way down.
If you have this new winscreen protective sheeting on you will probably experience that result with a GPS as I think that might interfere with signals.
Regards
Ge
GertM

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks for that. It just shows that you should never believe everything you hear....
Fr
Freshman

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Since I started this post, let me report back on a good note:

The no reception turned out to be my plug-into-the-lighter-mp3-FM-Tuner gadget set to 87.5 interfering with the GPS.
Found out by chance when I unplugged the music player gadget to charge my phone.

So I changed the frequency to 88.1 and it worked. GPS 100% :)

Return to “Communication and Navigation Equipment”

Login · Register