2001 3.2 Di-D EGR Removal

This is where general information is stored for reference purposes. Please do not ask questions here. Only post here if you are posting reference information.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

2001 3.2 Di-D EGR Removal

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:41 pm

I tried to just block the vacuum system that activates the EGR valve but it was still smoking at idle and having a rough idle at times.

I suspected it was the EGR still being funny and after the delete set out below my idle smoke and rough running is gone.

Tools required

- Phillips screwdriver
- 10mm socket
- 12mm socket
- 2" Extension
- 12mm ring flat spanner

Open the bonnet and remove the engine cover using the 10mm socket to loosen the 4 screws and further undoing them with the screwdriver

Then remove all these 12mm bolts/nuts with the 12mm spanner and/or ratchet using extension as necessary. Be careful on the exhaust bolts as they round easily and are very tightly rusted in usually.

Block off the vacuum pipe that you remove from the EGR valve

Note : I didn't point out the brace on top of the tappet cover but it's very straightforward.

Bolt on your blanking plates at the opened holes by the intake and the exhaust using the existing gaskets that came out.

Replace engine cover

Close bonnet ;)

Job done.

Ge
GertM

Re: 2001 3.2 Di-D EGR Removal

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:39 pm

So you removed the whole thing and then just "chuck it away"?

Funny, but I was thinking the same yesterday when I blanked off the two holes. Why not take off the whole thing? It serves no purpose, and 'strues bob - here you did it!

I blocked the exhaust side off at the point in the top of your picture, because it looks like everybody is doing it like such. It is interesting that you blocked it at the other hole.

Thanks for sharing!
pa
paw_by_paw

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi 4E,
A stupid question if I may? What is the function of the EGR and what poosible influence would the removal have on fuel consumption?
Is the removal of the EGR in principle the same for a 3.5 ?
Your comments please.
Regards
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:24 pm

paw_by_paw wrote:Hi 4E,
A stupid question if I may? What is the function of the EGR and what poosible influence would the removal have on fuel consumption?
Is the removal of the EGR in principle the same for a 3.5 ?
Your comments please.
Regards
Principle is the same.

Much to read here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

The gain of removing isn't beneficial in performance instantly but rather to prohibit gunk buildup in the intake manifold.

Over time (100'000km+ ) the crank vent oil vapours combine with the EGR gasses and causes a gunk buildup in the intake components. On petrol engines, the throttle body is vulnerable and can cause low rev issues.

scroll down in this link to see a badly gunked up intake on a jetta diesel.

http://forums.triplezoom.com/showthread ... AKE-SLUDGE
al
altusvdberg

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:58 pm

im rebulding my motor and want to chuck the EGR completly just whant to know what was its job origialy and what is the pro and cons of removing it
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:02 pm

altusvdberg wrote:im rebulding my motor and want to chuck the EGR completly just whant to know what was its job origialy and what is the pro and cons of removing it
see this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation
ma
macjohnw

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:41 pm

What did you use for the blank-off plate and will it take any serious pressure?
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:46 pm

macjohnw wrote:What did you use for the blank-off plate and will it take any serious pressure?
I used 6mm thick steel plate.
Ge
GertM

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:20 pm

4ePikanini wrote:
macjohnw wrote:What did you use for the blank-off plate and will it take any serious pressure?
I used 6mm thick steel plate.
Do you think that 3 mm aluminium plate will be sufficient to block off the exhaust side?
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:37 pm

I wouldn't chance it. The egt's are too high for aluminium. The aluminium head survives as it has constant coolant carrying heat away. The aluminium plate will only have radiant heat dissapation and I feel it won't be sufficient. It may not melt completely but may become maliable enough to deform and fail.

Return to “Pajero Technical Library”

Login · Register