Richtersveld and Kgalagadi - Tyre needs/choice

Advice on the HOW of overlanding, camping and caravanning. Travel location is discussed elsewhere
ma
malan

Richtersveld and Kgalagadi - Tyre needs/choice

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 am

I will be visiting the above two parks in May 2012. I have a SWB diesel Pajero and would like to get some advice on tyre choice for this terrain. I will be towing a Afrispoor Leopard trailer. I have the standard H/T 265/65/17 Bridgestone Deuler's. I also have two spares of the same tyre including the rims for the trip. I would like to get advice if these are sufficient or should I seriously be looking at A/T tyres. I have never visited this area before. Thanks.

ma
malan

Re: Richtersveld and Kgalagadi - Tyre needs/choice

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Bump!
Da
Davidvan

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi Malan,

I can't comment on the Bridgestone, I understand this area to be a combination of rocky and deep sand so tyre pressures are key for the various regions, seen some guys run between 1.2 and 1.8 bar in Kgalagadi. I am of the opinion that 2 spares will be a good option, for most of the longer trips. Fixing tyres at TweeRivieren as I understand is also possible.

I am also heading out that way in end April and early May - Kgalagadi specifically so may bump into you if you are there at that time, this is my first trip here so cannot comment on punctures.
cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Malan and David,

My first trip in my Pajero was the Richtersveld, then up the west coast of Nam to Ruacana, into Angola, back into Nam at Oshikango, Etosha and down the centre of Nam to the Kgalagadi. All on the original factory Yokohamas.

You will have to reduce tyre pressure at times for the sand as well as for the regte egte sinkplaatpaaie in the Kgalagadi

Keep a sharp eye for rocks and tree stumps and you should be OK! A second spare wheel is like money in the bank. It is available if and when you really need it.

Enjoy, Cloyd.
Da
Davidvan

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:06 am

Cloyd, I did northern Nam and had 7 punctures on the yokohama Geo39's, BUT I didn't stop for a drink at the tyre spot for good luck "een dop steek"...maybe that's why Malan, I would say with 2 spares you will be good, check tyre pressures for the various terrain and take a compressor and some plugs, which I am sure is already in your gear. :D
ma
malan

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 am

Thanks guys. This is very helpfull. Now I just can't wait anymore...
Bostokkelos
Vehicle: Pajero GEN 4 3.2Di-D

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 pm

Enjoy your trip! its going to be a lot of fun!
PAJERO 3.2 LWB GEN 4 AUTO
Rocksliders|Roof Rack|Bash Plate|Suspension lift|Dual battery system|
cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 pm

David and Malan,

Maybe some drivers are lucky and others have flat tyres.

In all my trips I only had two flats. The one due to the fact that I was driving where I was looking and basically destroyed a steel rim on a big rock next to the road (the tyre was used again - I only swapped it last Saterday for a new one. The second flat was on the road from Tweerevieren to Van Zylsrus. This tyre is still in use - in fact I shall be using it on Sunday!

Malan, you should/must carry a second spare (and mount it on your rear door. It will not damage your door!) plus a repair kit (not an expensive ARB but one that you buy the bits that you need from the general spares dealers plus a compressor. Once again, not the most expensive but a reliable one at ±R900 - R1000.

Cloyd
ma
malan

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks again guys.

I already have the 2nd spare wheel. Will either be carrying on roof bars or in back of car as I will be towing a trailer with all the goodies already included so will have some space left. I do not have the bracket to carry it on the ouside of my rear door. Only one spare for the trailer though as the size differ from that of my vehicle, so holding thumbs.

I also have a nice compressor and will be taking an extra repair kit. Those bought at Midas should be Ok I assume.

My original concern was that I have Bridgestone Highway Terrain tyres and not All Terrain which makes punctures more of a reality I think, but by being extra prepared it should hopefully work.
Malan
Da
Davidvan

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Malan,

With HT tyres and 2 spares you will be fine for a trip such as this IMHO so, if you hear a pssssssfffffttttt stop and plug, that takes 1 minute much better than changing a tyre in the heat of the day which takes 20 minutes :-)

Return to “Overlanding, Camping and Caravanning Advice”

Login · Register