2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D EGR blanking plate results

4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D EGR blanking plate results

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:47 am

For the record......

I have left the whole system as is, with electrical plugs and vacuum tubes plugged in, but I put a blanking plate between the EGR valve and the intake.

It's been over a week and nearly a full tank of diesel.

I DO NOT experience pinging or a "check engine" light. Neither do I have a stumble at any revs or idle.

I just have a clean running smooth engine.

NOTE : I run 500ml 2-stroke per tank of diesel. (Not that it would make a difference IMHO)

4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Re: 2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D EGR blanking plate results

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:44 am

Theoretically EGTs will rise when you disable the EGR, so keep a watch on the EGTs!

Using 2-stroke oil will reduce the clogging of the EGR components, since it burns away carbon deposits.
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
Co
Cobvs

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Regarding the "Check Engine" light: (maybe I have asked this before, can't remember) I get that light every time I switch on the ignition and before I start. My Gen 2 is petrol. Do I need to do anything with that or can I also disable EGR??
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Cobvs wrote:Regarding the "Check Engine" light: (maybe I have asked this before, can't remember) I get that light every time I switch on the ignition and before I start.
That is most probably just a "systems check" to show that the sytem (and globe) actually works.
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:39 pm

4ePikanini wrote:For the record......

I have left the whole system as is, with electrical plugs and vacuum tubes plugged in, but I put a blanking plate between the EGR valve and the intake.

It's been over a week and nearly a full tank of diesel.

I DO NOT experience pinging or a "check engine" light. Neither do I have a stumble at any revs or idle.

I just have a clean running smooth engine.

NOTE : I run 500ml 2-stroke per tank of diesel. (Not that it would make a difference IMHO)
Just for interest! Why would you do that? :?:
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:35 pm

LowRange wrote:
Just for interest! Why would you do that? :?:
over time the egr valve gunks up and sticks open or closed causing erratic idle running and excessive smoke. It also gunks up the intake manifold and intake pipes.

The egr is there for strict eu emissions that are not applicable in SA.
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:57 pm

4ePikanini wrote:
I have never understood this thinking... just because we have more relaxed (if any) restrictions on emissions doesn't mean we should just disregard what the manufacturers have done to fall in line with these standards. Is it not the actual principle? Same applies for Cat removal.

It's like saying, well we have no inspectors on this part of the coast, so we might as well go poaching!!
Simon Bloomer
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:01 am

the way mine was smoking, I think i'm more eco friendly by blocking it off. I plan on cleaning it and reincorporating it later on when I have time as it is beneficial to consumption, NOx gasses and EGT's. Hence I just blocked it for now and left all the systems in place.

With regards to cats, I would be interested to see the weigh up between the manufacture of the precious metals and the NOx reductions (like the toyota prius and it's batteries which I think is far more eco damaging than a plain jane simple car).
to
tonton

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 am

SimonB wrote:
4ePikanini wrote:
...It's like saying, well we have no inspectors on this part of the coast, so we might as well go poaching!!
Although Simon has it right in his analogy, the problem is that many of these items are only good for a while (basically till the car leaves the shop-floor), and becomes an irritation thereafter.

Trust that the designers will continually work on more sustainable solutions for our "contribution" to the decay of earth!

Anton
pg
pgoodier

Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:52 pm

LowRange wrote:
4ePikanini wrote: NOTE : I run 500ml 2-stroke per tank of diesel. (Not that it would make a difference IMHO)

What does the 2stroke do??

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register