Gen3 erratic starting

DijonR
Vehicle: Pajero 2002 model 3.2 DiD long wheelbase

Gen3 erratic starting

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi guys.

My Pajero (2002 3.2 DiD) normally starts like greased lightning; I would guess within one turn of the crankshaft. A few weeks ago I noticed some hesitation, almost as if the battery was not 100% and the starter was turning the engine more slowly than usual. Then, one morning, there was no engine movement at all.

Attempts at jump starting, swapping the battery with one from my brother's BMW, and charging the battery overnight had no effect. All the cables checked fine with a multimeter. So I had to summon a rollback and cart it off to the workshop.

My mechanic has now done the following:
- Checked all the cables
- Replaced the battery terminals (old ones were cracked)
- Replaced the battery (old one was technically within limits but performed marginally during a proper load test)
- Pulled out the starter, replaced the brushes, replaced the solenoid, and had it tested on the bench

We can now start the engine, albeit with difficulty. With the first turn of the key the starter engages, but the engine turns with difficulty, as with a flat battery. Ditto with the second attempt. But with the third attempt the engine leaps into action as if nothing is wrong! This happens regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold.

Anybody with a similar experience?

endb22
Vehicle: 2002 Pajero GDI

Re: Gen3 erratic starting

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:25 am

Hi! Our Pajero 2002 is doing the same thing and we have also replaced the battery and the starter. Have you resolved your problem, and if so, can you tell me how? Thanks so much, Erica in Lesotho
DijonR
Vehicle: Pajero 2002 model 3.2 DiD long wheelbase

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:41 pm

endb22 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:25 am
Hi! Our Pajero 2002 is doing the same thing and we have also replaced the battery and the starter. Have you resolved your problem, and if so, can you tell me how? Thanks so much, Erica in Lesotho
Hi Eric. I had the starter brushes and solenoid replaced, to no avail. I was thinking that replacing the whole starter might help, but now you are telling me that not even that helps. I think I have run out of ideas! for now! Deon in Cape Town
Zartsdahl
Vehicle: Pajero Exceed and iO (both 2005)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:20 pm

I had pretty much the same problem on my Pajero iO (2005). Did a lot of the same replacements including battery, but it didn’t end until the ECU was replaced. Still don’t know exactly what went wrong 🤷‍♂️

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register