45deg (100%) is very steep!

No need to hide! You'll eventually hanker for a Mitsu :) In the meantime perhaps we can still help.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Re: 45deg (100%) is very steep!

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:39 pm

The bloke in the landy wasn't trained properly. He was flooring it in first gear when the car was going backward. I was taught than when you go uphill and the car doesn't want to go anymore.......

stomp on the brakes and let it stall in gear. Stay on the brakes with the engine stalled and not running. Select reverse and slowly let go of the brakes until the car is braked solely by the engine. Touch the starter and the car will slowly rioll back under engine compression. Steer with very small movements and stay calm.

It is difficult at first but after one or two attempts on a controlled smooth slope it isn't that hard if you force yourself to keep a cool head.

The landy driver tried to steer in the right directions but with the front wheels locked and not turning the car didn't respond to his inputs.

Very lucky indeed.

JonnyD
Vehicle: Pajero IO

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Ja boet, the law of gravity remains a big threat, whether you drive up steep slopes or fall from a tree... :lol:
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:08 pm

4ePikanini wrote:The bloke in the landy wasn't trained properly. He was flooring it in first gear when the car was going backward. I was taught than when you go uphill and the car doesn't want to go anymore.......

stomp on the brakes and let it stall in gear. Stay on the brakes with the engine stalled and not running. Select reverse and slowly let go of the brakes until the car is braked solely by the engine. Touch the starter and the car will slowly rioll back under engine compression. Steer with very small movements and stay calm.

It is difficult at first but after one or two attempts on a controlled smooth slope it isn't that hard if you force yourself to keep a cool head.

The landy driver tried to steer in the right directions but with the front wheels locked and not turning the car didn't respond to his inputs.

Very lucky indeed.
I hear you, but I must comend the driver on keeping the steering 'mostly' straight. Had he not done this it could have been a lot worse than a bruised ego. I was not there and I was not in the driver seat. Maybe I would have done the same, who knows, instinct is a bad thing in some instances, all I know is that I sh@t myself everytime I just watch this video and thank my lucky stars that it wasnt me. By the way, this is an optional obstacle and not advised for younger viewers. :D

CATS
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Gr
Gryskoos

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:03 am

I met the guy in the Taureq once when we did the Hennops Pride trail. Yes he went down Van Zyls pass. No damage to vehicle. Nice bloke and good driver.

Any one here who went down the mineshaft on the Berakah trail? They say its 43 degrees. I did the trail 3 weeks ago and battled afterwards to clean the brown marks in my undies after the mineshaft. Did it with my 2000 blister 3.5 V6 and no I did not remove the running boards. No danage or scratches whetever. Only the hi-jack lift point in the back and the tow bar took a wee knock.

Love my blister. :D
Mc
Mcnoogle

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:21 pm

Anyone have any idea what the slope angle is at the...tan tan taaaaa..Wall of death :twisted: , at Atlantis Dunes.

When I was there on my 1st off-road experience, that pit was the only one I struggled to get out of, after not being able to do the wall of death. :oops:
I think if I go back, I'll be able to do it now, as last time I had old cooper STT's with about 20% tread left, whereas now I have the new cooper STT's with 100% tread. :mrgreen:

I would like to know if anyone knows what the incline is toward the top, I could only get about 60% up.
to
tonton

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Gryskoos wrote:I ... did it with my 2000 blister 3.5 V6 and no I did not remove the running boards. No danage or scratches whetever. Only the hi-jack lift point in the back and the tow bar took a wee knock...
Did you remove the towbar's drop-plate? It seems to act as a plough or unwanted anchor when you need it the LEAST.

Anton
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Wall of death I would imagine is no more than 1 in 2.5. Should be easily able to manage that :twisted: And I'd bet you would struggle more with new coopers than old ones :) - more inclined to spin out.
Mcnoogle wrote:Anyone have any idea what the slope angle is at the...tan tan taaaaa..Wall of death :twisted: , at Atlantis Dunes.

When I was there on my 1st off-road experience, that pit was the only one I struggled to get out of, after not being able to do the wall of death. :oops:
I think if I go back, I'll be able to do it now, as last time I had old cooper STT's with about 20% tread left, whereas now I have the new cooper STT's with 100% tread. :mrgreen:

I would like to know if anyone knows what the incline is toward the top, I could only get about 60% up.
Simon Bloomer
ar
arnijr

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:21 am

Not really relevant, they aren't exactly stock trucks, but fun though and demonstrates the toppling over backwards aspect as well as anything being climbable with enough speed and space to land :twisted:

EetUh57PV_I
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:43 am

I wonder what the injury rate in the above video is? Financial also, but looks like some good fun.
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:45 am

SimonB wrote:That guy was lucky... I'm sorry but I just don't see the point of putting your assets and lives at risk by doing this kind of thing. What does it really prove??
I dont feel like being lucky nor do I see the point. Should I need too, I'm sure my car and I could, but only if I would really need too.

Return to “All Other Brands”