Pajero Lock Up Kit - Gauging Interest

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
Jo
JohnDG

Re: Pajero Lock Up Kit - Gauging Interest

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Found the Yellow wire with red phase and its the right one. Got all the ticks per second.

JohnDG.

4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:06 pm

JohnDG wrote:Found the Yellow wire with red phase and its the right one. Got all the ticks per second.

JohnDG.
That's good news. You can order through the shop. I have one ready to ship.

Sent via iPad & Forum Runner
Frisby
Vehicle: Pajero DiD

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:54 am

Dear Sir,

I would be most interested in this device. I have a 2007 DiD which had larger diameter wheels on when I bought it. I find the gearbox dips between 5th and 4th during normal driving. As the tyres still have plenty of tread left I did not want to exchange tyres at this stage. Do you think your device will keep the vehicle in 5th gear during long distance driving.

Regards,
Charles
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 am

Frisby wrote:Dear Sir,

I would be most interested in this device. I have a 2007 DiD which had larger diameter wheels on when I bought it. I find the gearbox dips between 5th and 4th during normal driving. As the tyres still have plenty of tread left I did not want to exchange tyres at this stage. Do you think your device will keep the vehicle in 5th gear during long distance driving.

Regards,
Charles
Using Tiptronic you can keep it in fifth and using the lock up kit you can keep the torque converter locked up for economy and lower atf temps.
Ge
GertM

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Suppose its time for an update on the fitted kock up kit.
I have just returned from Namaqualand and I have done just over 3600 kms.
Of course, most of the kms were done with the trailer in tow and the consumption in between fill-ups varied.
Bottom line is, the diesel consumption was an average of 1 kilometer per liter better than that without the lock-up kit. The consumption solo on the open road also bettered with 1 Kilometer. O, I must mention, I traveled long distances with the cruise control on.
All in all, I think it is a worthwhile conversion, especially when you can lock up below 120 km/h when towing and the fact that there is no slippage and heat generation. What I did was, when there is a slight uphill, I switched the lock off, which resulted in a slip in the transmission which equaled the hooking up of a lower gear.
It works for me.
Attachments
Goraas sidingIMG_1518 1.jpg
Ge
GertM

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Forgot to mention:
The overall consumption was 8.5 km/l where in the past with the trailer it was 7.6. Solo I constantly get just over 10 km/l @ 120 km/h
Lo
Louis Fourie

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:04 am

[quote="4ePikanini"]
The advantages are

...- can push start the auto
quote]
Push start a Pajero? Why? ;)
Seriously though: will the torque converter not be damaged in the long run?
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:15 am

I wouldn't make a habit of push starting it but in an emergency it can save the day.

Lo
Louis Fourie

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:19 pm

4ePikanini wrote:I wouldn't make a habit of push starting it but in an emergency it can save the day.

I agree, saw the earlier posted warning about that, but would normal usage of the lock up on road not damage the TC?
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 am

Louis Fourie wrote:
4ePikanini wrote:I wouldn't make a habit of push starting it but in an emergency it can save the day.

I agree, saw the earlier posted warning about that, but would normal usage of the lock up on road not damage the TC?
No. Modern torque converters are designed with lock up clutches to lower atf temps and improve economy.

All you are doing is just deciding when to use the lockup as the pajero wants to unlock very easily. (by contrast my touareg never unlocks in 4th - 6th)

Remember that the pajero lockup clutch is not designed to take the full torque of the motor so don't stress it out but highway cruising is more than adequate.

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”

Login · Register