Knocking noise coming from the front end/wheels, HELP?

St
Stephan

Knocking noise coming from the front end/wheels, HELP?

Sun May 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Nick Marriott wrote:Check your disc pad anti rattle clips. If these are weak or broken it sounds like a loose suspension part, especially with the windows open. If the noise goes away under braking, then this is your problem.
The brake pad anti rattle clips on the right front caliper was the cause of my knocking noise my problem. When I investigated, I found that they were missing, which means that the mechanic did not fit them when they replaced the pads.

The clips are R 90 from the dealers.

Part number: LMR493177

Ni
Nick Marriott

Re: Knocking noise coming from the front end/wheels, HELP?

Sun May 19, 2013 6:44 pm

It took me a month of frantic checking to find it was just the little clips. Simple, cheap and easy fix. :roll:
Ro
Robert IO

Sun May 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi guys.

Everybody is forgetting the steering rack ends. It may look as if the steering rack comes as a complete unit, but both the sides of the rack bolts off. And the Tie-rod ends bolt onto them.

It is worth while checking them out first. Just put your hand over the steering rack boot rubber while someone else oscillates the steering wheel lightly. You will feel the noise easily if it’s worn.
Mr B
Vehicle: 3.2DID swb

Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:40 am

I have I think too great a play ....looseness of the caliper sliding pins into the caliper bracket......i have noise form the front brakes I think as the noize goes away when I touch the to brake while driving.....
how loose shoudl these pins be.....what to lube them with....Silicon? I suspect the caliper bracket holes or the pins are worn.....should pins be the same thickness?
what should the thickness be of the pins?.....can one insert bushed into the holes where the pins go into to reduce ""looseness" of the pins in the holes? tired of the cluck cluck

Return to “Suspension, Steering and Brakes”

Login · Register