Pajero Gen 2 3.5V6 Not Starting Fuel Related

PajeroNewBy
Vehicle: 1997 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5v6 LWB

Pajero Gen 2 3.5V6 Not Starting Fuel Related

Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:50 am

Hi All

I have a 97 Pajero Gen 2 3.5 V6 Auto LWB.

I am so fed up with this car on braking down and fixing stuff.
BUT, every time it is fixed it drives like a dream. I can not, not LOVE this SUV. Dammit.

So After Rebuilding the engine.........

ALL the odds and ends things all around is giving up, but let me start from the beginning.

I bought this car 15 November 2019.

It had a vibration at 130, so i drove 150. 9th of Dec 2019 we went on holiday to cape town, my true love, we stay in Witbank Mpumalanga, my enemy. We had a extended venter trailer fully loaded and 6 adults and my, at the time 1 year old daughter. That thing did not even feel the weight. Cruise control 150 and off we flew. So not care about consumption because it is non existent at 5.5 km per L, no matter how you drive, No problem, i did not buy it for fuel saving.

So close to Beaufort West this Pajero starts struggling, like the wind was coming from the front strong pushing us.
When i pulled in the fuel station in Beaufort, as it is the norm with these cars, every town every filling station is a stop, i open the window, yeah my aircon works, and i heard this thing miss firing, bearing in mind the week before the 9th Dec 2019 i serviced the engine and replaced the timing kit and crank gear and crank censor, all dealer parts, yikes that was ALOT of money, so i tried poking around the engine, but as we all know that have these cars and knowledge of them, the intake has to be removed to get spark related issues, i did not at the time had the spark plugs as the culprit, it was just replaced, dealer parts.

So we drove AT 100 to Laingsburg, it felt like an eternity, stopped at a mechanic shop there, not a very big place for those who knows it, so the mech starts removing the intake and EVERTHING connected to it, so we had 1 dead spark plug, and 2 dead spark plug wires, And off course we could only fond a spark plug BKR6EK, as per the vin number spec on a normal spark plug. not platinum like i have fitted just before we left. So the mech changes the spark plug and rips apart my plug leads and fabricates leads out of normal house electric wire. DID NOT WORK!

So of we go with basically a 4 cylinder now. Fuel Shot right up, if ever there was a more up on these cars.

Came to De Doorns, No not for fuel on the car, fuel for the humans. Next to us, i hear a FORD ranger 3.2 sounding like a dead battery, So the way i am jump out offer to help, so i remove my battery and half upside down, as the terminals is not the same side, connect the ford and start the engine, but before this the owner mention it has a knock, we all who know about these car know what that means, injector DEAD. I quickly tested the injectors by releasing pressure and hear who is making a difference, lucky number 1. So i told the owner, i am limping to Kommetjie, and he is limping to Strand, lets limp together and at least we can get going and we have more people together if stuff goes even more south.

So of we go, Now a 4cylinder Pajero 3.5 v6, and now a 4cylinder 3.2 5 cylinder Ford Ranger.

We made it to Somerset west and split up, after giving out numbers, we on our way to Kommetjie as tourists and they on there way to Strand as residence. We had a local connection now and new friends. All though i was born in Hermanus and all my fathers brothers and sisters stay in and around Cape Town.

I had to order the 3 plug leads from Mitsubishi over R2000. And it would take about a week as it had to come from somewhere far. We where at least set up camping and on holiday.

Days went by and yes we drove with the Pajero EVERY WHERE all over cape town. As a 4 cylinder, just chucking fuel. The complete km for the holiday was around 5000km, minus the about 3000km there and back. So we did about 2000km on a 4cylinder v6.

The leads arrive and at the camp I remove the intake and replace the spark plugs again to platinum and replace the 3 plug leads. Assemble everything and STILL misfiring, checking and rechecking the firing order as it can be very tricky if you miss it.. I was PISSED. But we decided to carry on with our holiday and got a hold of a Mitsubishi Mech i think in lands down who would check the diagnostic codes only the day we where suppose to leave 3rd Jan 2020.

1st Jan 2020 my uncle invited us to a braai at Goodwood club and we drove there. The evening we drove back to Kommetjie, I don't drink alcohol so i can drive any where any time after a party and still feel fresh the next day and not even be a threat on the road, just saying, and for some reason i decided to use the ou kaapse road and at Constantia going up hill this thing just did not want to go at all, it was so slow, and i just hear GRRRRRRRRR and i shut it down immediately and put it in neutral and free of the off ramp that i was at and lucky it was little down hill and free out into a next residential road and stop on top of a pavement on a corner street. I try started it and it started but was making a GRRRRRRRR noise so i shut it down.

Called my uncle he came with a Mazda etude of all cars and towed us to Durbanville, what a ride of our lives, anyway.

Next day i took that same etude and went to Kommetjie packed up our camp and hooked the trailer and went to live with my uncle, that would be for a month not knowing it at the time.

I stripped the intake of and did a compression test,
No1 and 6 Cylinder NO compression.

Removed the cylinder heads, valves bend on no 1and 6 cylinder, and no 1 piston had chip marks all over this piston, like something, GRRRRRRR, dancing on top of this piston. No 6 had something funny cone shaped lodge between the valve and seat. keeping the valve open but also bend it slightly.

So now it is new year and most if not all parts are closed. Lucky Master parts was open and they had most of what i needed to get the heads repaired and an engineering shop at least was open in Bellville if i remember correctly now.

I did not remove the block nor the pistons as i wanted to get it fixed get back home and rebuild the engine.
So replaced the heads and the valves that was bend and head gaskets, no torque wrench, by hand on the new cylinder head bolts, no seals replaced, and R13 000 later and the engine was assembled, this time with sparks plugs ngk BKR5E recommended as i have searched the forums for the miss fire issue.

Started and STILL miss firing. CHECKED the firing order 6 times as you can miss it. I was PISSSSSED.

So 1st Feb 2020 of we go back home with a 4cylinder v6, having a slight oil leak now and lightly bigger water leak, this time only with 3 adults and my daughter, now 2 years old as her birthday was somewhere in 14 Jan and we spend the day on the beach, she was so happy. The other 3 adults had to work again on 6th Jan 2020, so they took a bus home.

Fuel cost over all R4500 to there and around. R 5500 return. R 9500 fuel only Yes ouch. Basically on holiday for 2 months, over all cost with repairs accommodation, site seeing, food etc, R 63 000.00.

Home and a week later i decided to check a few things again having recovered a little, AND WHAT DO I REALISE, THE SODDING FIRING ORDER IS WRONG. I WAS PISSED. Fixed the firing order for the 10th time and BOOM drives perfect.

So i stripped the engine again send it to engineering and got it back before lock down 25 march 2020 with all the parts i needed. Cost me Another R25 000.00.

Assembled it during lock down and then had the prop shafts done, serviced oil the diffs, transfer case, and Transmission with filter. Did the brakes and the front wheel bearings.

Still had a vibration, now even worst, from 80 to 150. I saw the transmission mount was collapsed now. Maybe the issue with the vibration i do not know, even to date not replaced that mount 05/02/2021. I will get around to it.

In between had to repair the radiator and now the viscous fan stopped working, when it idles or in low range it gets hot and the aircon gets hot, until you drive again at higher speed and then engines cools down and aircon blows cold again.

But the problem i am having currently is this, and the question, finally,

The car started jerking and not wanting to pull nicely, lack in power, did a fuel pressure test, 1 bar.
So i ordered a pump from midas, 3.5 bar and it did not even want to start, ordered a pump from bosch according to part number on original pump removed, and fitted it and car started quickly and drove like never before, had good power, better than before.

Drove about 30km and it started jerking again specially turning at a traffic light or such, and slow to change gears, auto box, and then next day just turning again not starting. Before i assembled the bosch pump i checked all pipes and replaced fuel filter for blockage from the front to the back removing pipes, feed line only.

Any advice.

Thanks

PajeroNewBy

Re: Pajero Gen 2 3.5V6 Not Starting Fuel Related

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:05 am

IMG_20191225_114504.jpg
PajeroNewBy

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:34 am

IMG_20200102_164212.jpg
IMG_20200624_145107.jpg
OCT 2020 P20 536.jpg
IMG_20200105_195825.jpg
204.jpg
PajeroNewBy

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:35 am

IMG_20200102_164212.jpg
IMG_20200624_145107.jpg
OCT 2020 P20 536.jpg
IMG_20200105_195825.jpg
204.jpg
V for Vendetta
Vehicle: 3.8 SWB

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:47 pm

Tell me you where not doing that speed, towing and fully loaded with people, in the picture ?, it sounds like a wind-up, If not, you are way braver than me.

Have you checked the injectors that they are actually delivering fuel ?. Spark is good, air is good ?, fuel is the only other variable. You need all three to create fire.

Hope you come right.
ben.koch
Vehicle: 2004 pajero swb

Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:47 am

Hi can any one is Delo 400 auto transmission good for 3.5 v6

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”

Login · Register