Paternoster to Hondeklipbaai

Looking for ideas for holidays? Maybe a trail? Or even a trip across Africa?
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Paternoster to Hondeklipbaai

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Gents,

Any advice or comments on the route from Paternoster to Hondeklip along the coast. We did the portion up to Strandfontein a few years ago, but have never been along the coast further north. I'm really keen to hear about permits and/or other arrangements that may be required.

The date is November and it is most likely going to be two Pajeros and three couples.

It will be a very quick two night affair. I think one night at Groenriviermond and one night in Hondeklip and then back along the highway to Paternoster. We have stayed at both places, so am familiar with the accommodation.

Attached is a screen dump of the route as well as an "ExpertGPS" format file.

Thanks in advance.
Roelf
Attachments
Huisie to Hondeklip Bay.gpx
ExpertGPS format
(179.16 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Paternoster to Hondeklipbaai map.doc
Screen dump
(328 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

pa
paw_by_paw

Re: Paternoster to Hondeklipbaai

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Roelf I do not how far north you want to go but I have seen some very interesting info on the West Coast national park- That is if you plan to camp with bare neccessaties.(Not sure of the spelling here) I know the diamond area is Forbitten unless you arrange with somebody.
I am also going down to Vensterklip Baai in December and could not get place at Tietiesbaai due to me not spending enough time there. They are looking for people to stay longer than 3 days. :evil:
That area is also new to me but intend to explore as much as possible. There is beautifull little Cottages in Tankwa Karoo Nat Park . We have booked two nights at Langkloof Bushcamp and two nights at the Cottages for Dec. Each cottage has it's own splashpool and no power with parafin lamps and gas water heating. If you like watching stars go to Southerland and book a private trip with one off the guys there which spend some quality time with you with his own telescopes etc.
I am staying on a farm there with ablutions but again no power but small quiet generators are allowed. Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 am

Paw,

Thanks for the heads-up.

We will be spending about 10 days in Paternoster. The idea is to take a quick run north for a few days, if we finish with our planned tasks in time. We will not have camping stuff with us or have time to camp 3 nights anyware.

I'll do some research on the West Coast National Park and see where it leads me.

We will keep an eye on this site, waiting for your trip report early next year.

Roelf
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 am

Paw,

I just did the honorable thing and Googled "West Coast National Park".. :D

The info I found points to the Park sitting to the south of our route and thus of no consequence.

BUT, it does mean that we could possibly explore the Park if we feel like a break from Paternoster.

Now I need to Google "diamond areas". We did travel through Kleinsee last time there and the place was completely deserted with only a security post where we signed in. But that is to the north of our planned trip.
Chris
Vehicle: Pajero GLX

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 am

Roelf. we did that same trip from Hondeklipbaai down to Lutzville. It took us more than 12 hrs but we did stop for flowers and birding. Arrived in Lutzville way after dark. There are no facilities to my knowledge but suggest you contact the owner of "honnehokke" in Hklipbaai. He should be able to advise and you can stay at his place (google honnekok) It is a great trip however.
Chris
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Chris,

Great stuff - thank you.

We will only have the Groenrivier to Hondeklip section for the day, should be OK for time. My gas-guzzler could run into a spot of bother with tank range though. Any advice on expected fuel consumption?
Chris
Vehicle: Pajero GLX

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Roelf, it was a few years ago. The sand was pretty hard. Not even 4 wheel drive for most of the way and I was towing. We only did the section from Honneklip to Groenrivier as well as it was getting dark.
Chris
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Chris,

Yip, that is what I expected - maybe a few patches for 4x4, but mostly just a slow drive on sandy tracks. In that case I'll not worry too much about fuel.

We have stayed at the "hokke" once before. A bitterly cold and wet night it was. We had a fire going and had some of the owner's (Attie - if I recall correctly) dogs for company. He told me about the track along the beach. I still had the SWB 3.8V6 (69L tank) and already had a good few km under the belt on that tank. So the wet and muddy tracks and the trailer and dodgy fuel supply convinced me to go inland to Groenrivier mond.

Return to “Places to Visit”