Rust in the sunroof frame

Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Re: Rust in the sunroof frame

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:41 am

Hi,

I also need to have my sunroof frame repaired or replaced.

I found another guy via Facebook that says he has done this repair, cost is R2k.

Mine is quite badly rusted - might need to build up / weld in a piece.

Got quoted R13k for a refurbished/used one from another supplier - seems too expensive.

Otherwise, I'll speak to Ching.

Thanks,
Greg

2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)
chrisspengler
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3,2DiD SWB

Re: Rust in the sunroof frame

Mon May 06, 2024 11:15 am

Hey Guys
Following this thread on PJ sunroof frames rusting (BTW they all do, this is a design flaw so don't be caught thinking yours is OK!).
I purchased a used sunroof glass/frame in Jbg. and had it couriered to Cape Town, upon which I then took it to Ching in Lansdowne. He showed me where they all rust and offered to fix the rust on my 'newly aquired' sunroof and a week later he called me back to come in and he did the exchange in about 10 minutes.
The good news is that Ching now has a complete glass/frame/rubber to pop into your roof, whilst he repairs your old one. He is extremely efficient and very, very fair on pricing. You won't get a sunroof repaired anywhere for less than what he will charge you. Ching is a great 'go to' guy, you can call or message him on 072 359 9161.
I have since arranged to take my vehicle in annually to have him pop it out (5 minutes operation) and thoroughly inspect and attend to any rust that is reappearing. The important thing is to catch it early. It is virtually impossible to assess without first removing the glass from the vehicle.
Chris - Fish Hoek, Cape Town

Return to “Chassis, Bodywork, Trim & Interior”