Gen 4 Aux out/ipod connection

sp
sparks

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Howzit Guys,

I have tried to do some research on this topic without too much really useful info.
I was hoping someone could shed some light on this this for me.
I have a 2007 gen 4 GLS with the rockford sound system, and if I hold the cd button it switches to Aux mode, but there is no where that I can find to plug any Aux plug into?
Is there any easy way of doing this to play an ipod through the system?
If anyone has any info on this topic please send it my way,
Much apprecited!

Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Re: Gen 4 Aux out/ipod connection

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm also very much interested in this... would be most helpful if someone could comment.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but has anyone else considered upgrading their rockford console (from the previous Gen4 one) to the new big LCD screen? Apparently it can be done, but I have no idea of the cost...
Karl

El
Elinas

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi sparks

You need an Auxiliary jack adapter which can be purchased from your local dealer for around R300. Had it done on my Gen4 about a year ago. I will try and do a search for you later at home for the exact part number, as I'm struggling on the iPhone. Here's a picture of the part which I found on one of the Australian forums : http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/sho ... php?t=7515

It is supplied with a diagram that explains how it should be installed - the wires connect to the back of the head unit. The wiring is easy, what's difficult is getting to the back of the radio! The guys that know what they are doing can do it for you in about half an hour and will charge u about R250.

What you're left with is a little Aux jack (they can place it anywhere for u) that plugs into your iPod. The sound quality is good. Remember it doesn't give u the ability to control the iPod in any way.

Not a bad investment at all.

Regards
El
Elinas

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi sparks

Try the following part # at your dealer -

MZ360136EX

Regards
sp
sparks

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks Elinas,
Thats a great help.
I phoned my local dealer in Shelly Beach (KZN South Coast) , and to be honest they were pretty clueless! They managed to find the cable with the part number, although with a quote of R500 just for the cable. They then said that they could get the company that they contract out to for electrical work. So they gave me their number and I called them, only to be told that they dont do it and maybe the dealer would!!?? :?: So now... Im stuck and the price of that cable seemed fairly expensive!
El
Elinas

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Hey sparks

Don't give up just yet. Have a look at that link that I sent you yesterday. It's very informative. You will see that one of the members actually made up his own connection, which worked perfectly, and at a fraction of the cost.

I will have a look to see if I still have that diagram of the installation instructions. There are just three wires that need to be connected to the back of the unit.

In the mean time try and locate an auto-electrician or a good radio fitment centre in your area that's willing to do the job for you - there must be lots. As I mentioned before, the only tricky part is getting that dashboard apart without causing any damage. I watched while they were busy installing mine, so I could try talk u through it if you want to give it a go?

Cheers
El
Elinas

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi sparks

Here is that diagram for the installation:
Audio Aux Cable.pdf
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 2690 times

Regards
ce
cees

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:36 am

Hi Sparks and Elinas, Was also very interested in playing the ipod through the Rockford system. With the help of the audio aux cable pdf file mentioned by Elinas, I started to investigate my Pajero 2009 DID GLS. To get to the back of the radio some stripping needs to be done. First remove both the vents that are placed on either side of the radio. They can be removed by pulling them out as they are only fitted with nylon clips. The face of the radio can be unclipped in the same manner and removed after the wiring plugs have been unplugged. Now we come to the actual metal box controller that is held down by 4 nuts. As the unit comes out, 2 x wiring plugs need to be unplugged. The one plug is a 20 pin - the other a 18 pin. We only need to work on the 18 pin plug and wiring. From the pdf file it can be seen that wires need to be connected to connections 6,14,15. Number 6 is the Common for the lead to go to the ipod and 14,15 are Left and Right. In my car 3 wires were connected to 6,14,15 with respective colors of 6=pink, 14=yellow with black stripe, 15= blue. Tried to follow these leads and find them somewhere in the car but did not manage. Made up a 1 meter stereo cable lead with a female chassis plug fitted next to the cigarette lighter and soldered the other side to the 3 leads coming from 6,14,15 after having cut these wires at about 20 mm. lenght so that I did not need to replace the aux terminals in the connector housing. Needless to say that the system works like a dream, otherwise I would not have written this article to brag about it. Good luck.
El
Elinas

Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Cees

I'm really glad you managed to do it yourself.

Cheers
sp
sparks

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi Cees,
great to hear you got it working perfectly.
I need som ehelp some hoping you, Elias or anyone else can help me!
I bought the cable from Mitsubishi, took it to some guys here who put the cable in yesterday, through to glove box.
Now... After plugging my ipod in, it plays so soft that on full volume you can only just make out that it is even working!!! I was obviously highly peed off with this, spoke to them today and they said that I must take it back but they installed it/connected it as was shown in pic...
So I said I would first consult the experts... IE YOU guys!
So any suggestions or help would be awesome, I really need this set up as we are moving to manguzi next year and going to have minimal decent radio!
Thanks

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”